Gas and Diesel Fuel treatment

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gas and Diesel Fuel treatment

Which enzyme product are you referring to?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you lok at the MSDS on Startron, it doesn't include any isopropyl alcohol. I would want to add a product that also incuded that like Stabil does.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just out of curiosity......... Can you destabilize fuel by overdosing with a combination of products?

I have used Star Tron throughout the summer with fill ups and then dumped a big bottle of Stabil in a full tank (72 gal.) before winterizing this year.

It has been my understanding they do two different things as the Star Tron breaks down and prevents bacteria, sledge, and varnish build up while the Stabil maintains integrity of the fuel during non active terms. I have always topped off the tanks and added Stabil before winterizing and have not had any problems.

linesix

Cadet

Here's what Crusader recommends. Use Sta-Bil when using E10 or greater. This applies to running, not just storage. Static stored boats (trailer or rack storage) are much more succeptible to E10 related problems. The constant "stirring" of boats stored in the water minimizes the effect on the fuel tank. E10 does loosen and dislodge build-up of foreign material in tanks and lines. This is what causes the filters to initally clog when you start using it.

The fuel looses octane and stability much faster than conventional gasoline so they suggest you "do not" keep your tank full, rather fill it prior to running and do not refill it until the start of your next trip.

They have also removed the pre-filter (screen) which was always installed on the inlet side of the fuel pump and require a Racor type fuel water seperator be installed between the tank and the engine.

I know this may be contrary to what is recommended by other manufacturers, but that is how they feel and they are now including this information in their owners manuals and requiring boat manufacturers to install these new filters in all Crusader and PCM powered boats.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

WOW

I'm speachless again.

Thanks for the posting.

Nick