Garmin GPS Selection Opinions

Jolie Lynn

Seaman
Hi all,
We have a Garmin GPSMAP 178C with thru hull transducer from 2001. Looking at the Garmin 431, 531 or break the bank with the 740? These have the inland lakes loaded and maybe buy the Vision card for the salt water for detail. We mainly boat in North Carolina lakes and will be in the Intracoastal waterway a few times a year and maybe venture out in sea with a seasoned captain. I really see the GPS coming into play in salt water. I have played with all three in the store. The 740 really is soooooo easy just touch and go but trying to justify the cost. The 531 and 431 seem the same size as ours now but kinda pain with panning and zooming with the cursor. My question would be in your honest opinion and experience would I be able to just buy the head unit alone which seems to have the same transducer plug and the best of the three to buy. The reason to upgrade is ours is not supported any longer and has no maps mainly just reading speed and depth for the few times we had her out since we bought the boat this year. I am really looking to better our Intracoastal waterway experience for the family. The new to us lakes we visit will also benefit the depth contours in unframiliar areas. Thanks in advance!!!!!!

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Garmin GPS Selection Opinions

I would go with the 5 series just because the screen is bigger, as far as operation the OS should be the same as the 178.

Had one of those and loved it, 178C but it died and they couldn't fix it.

Not to complicate things but don't be afraid to look at Humminbird, they have a really good product too, I have a 3 series, it isn't nice color like my old Garmin but it works well enough.

I would rather have buttons than a touch screen to, a little condensation on the screen and they don't work so well and the 7 really doesn't do that much more than the 5, certainly nothing you can't live without.

Jolie Lynn

Seaman

Thanks, We do have the 178c and it is nice I agree. The reason to only look at Garmin is because of the transducer looks to be installed strongly through hole in belly unless that is the original transducer for the depth finder in dash. Will have to re-check. The boat is a 2001 Maxum 2300 SR bowrider. Do the other makers use the same transducers and connections? That would really open up our options!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

How are you going to use the unit?

The Garmin 740 and the 4 & 5 series are completey different animals. The 740s basically a MFD that supports both CANet and Garmin Marine network so you can add radar and variety of other add-ons that can't be done with a 4&5 series unit. Not to mention quality of display. There is a hgue difference between a 5" screen 234 x 320 display and a 7" 800 x 600 display.

Having run a Garmin 4208 for the past 5 years, I couldn't see reverting back to a 5" display anytime soon. The remote controls on the bigger units are nice too.

You don't need a Vison chip for detail. The standard Bluecharts is as good as it get chart wise. Vision buys you satellite views and 3D underwater views if your into that kind of thing

Jolie Lynn

Seaman

I guess my main use would be about 70% framilar lakes, 10% unframiliar lakes and 20% coastal travel. I don't ever see buying any type of add on like radar or remotes. My main concern is navigation safely and efficiently in the Intracoastal waterway with minimal beaching. Trying to make the experience enjoyable for the family :) The 740 seemed to be more user friendly and more visible for quick glances. I don't know how to read the charts yet but will learn. The Vision card only got my attention for point and shoot to destination route drawn path for minimum depth input, a big plus for quick looks inside the boat making sure on path.
Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The Vision card only got my attention for point and shoot to destination route drawn path for minimum depth input, a big plus for quick looks inside the boat making sure on path.

I think you misunderstand how auto routing works and it's limitations. Unless you have an autopilot you still have to sit at the helm and steer the track. On top of that you have the issue with the accruacy of the maps. A lot of the marine maps hav not been updated in 10-15 years. Imgaine how well your car GPS would work using 15 year old road maps. Throw in the constantly shifting sands of the intercoastal and you'll be aground before you know it.

Jolie Lynn

Seaman

You are correct about auto routing. I am an aircraft mechanic by trade (i no me sum bout auto pilot) and know water is an entirely different animal :) I just liked a drawn path to glance at to help with guidance while looking at what is really going on around outside. I did not know that the charts are that far out. They are not updated yearly with software updates?? If that is the case I could get a map card for the 178C. I am assuming Garmin would be the best in most cases?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

When was the last time you saw a NOAA survey boat on your lake? When was the last time you saw a NOAA survey boat, period?

NOAA updates maps when major changes to the topography or hazards to navigation are formally recognized. From there, they leave it up to chart suppliers to distribute the software updates to their customers as they see fit. Most suppliers require a subscription for this service.

Here is the chart of the intercoastal waterway in NC. The chart was last updated in 2006. How accurate do you think the data is after five hurricanes and an untold number of unnamed storms?

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11553.shtml

I suggest you hold off on getting Vision until you get some time under your belt. I think you?ll find out that it?s far easier to steer using the compass pointer than following the little pink line on the chart.

BTW: Your current unit is discontinued and no map updates are available. I gave you the link to the NOAA charts. I would find the charts applicable to your favorite areas and check the revision dates on each. The revision date is noted on the bottom left hand corner of the chart. There is a good change that a large percentage of the maps on your unit are still the latest and greatest

Jolie Lynn

Seaman

Thanks !! Hopefully after a few outings I will to know a little more about the conditions nowadays. I appreciate the link.