Garmin G2 Map Update Card

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anybody out there using a Garmin GPS with the Bluechart G2 maps? They have a G2 update card that runs from $69 to $99 dollars and I am wondering if anyone bought this update and it's worth it or not?

Last winter for kicks & giggles, I took the unit with me when I walked all around Sandy Hook NJ from the ocean to the bay. When I got home and plotted the trail on Garmin MapSource it showed me at one point walking 20 feet out in the ocean and then well inland when I walked the beach edge the whole time. What was further discouraging was that when I plotted it on Google Earth, it was dead on where I walked. I don't know if Hurricane Sandy changed the tip of Sandy Hook or not or the Garmin G2 maps are that old. Also on a first time trip to Great Sacandaga Lake in New York last summer, the trail plot showed me at one point going across a small island which was wrong.

I'm debating whether or not to get this or purchase a Lowrance Gold Elite 4 unit which has Navionics maps.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the info. On Garmin's website, they list a 2013 card as an update. I'm going to call them Monday to see when it was really updated.
The Navionics free charts of Sandy Hook on my iPhone look exactly the same as the one on your link above. Hopefully Garmin's are also updated.

Last edited: