Garage heaters

bigdee

Commander
Nat gas would be great if only I had a line going out to the garage! I even have a gas heater that was in an upstairs room that is no longer being used. Unfortuneately it's not in the budget to run 150' of buried gas pipe out to the garage. Upon further investigation I'v found that there are no suppliers close by that will refill samll propane tanks. 30lbs or larger.. And the really small tanks that the gas stations and home supply stores carry for gas grills won't last long and here cost $20.00 with exchange.

I started out with a kerosene heater and was never really satisfied. It was always in the way,smelly and messy. Underground gas line is inexpensive and comes in 150' rolls for less then $100. So for a cost of around $250 (heater,piping,fittings)you would have a radiant heat source that was clean and out of the way. The hurdle would be digging the trench. I don't know what type of soil you have so you might have to out source some help or rent a trencher. In sandy soil you can dig a trench with a shovel in very little time. It is also possible that some propane suppliers would furnish a tank beside the garage.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
for 250 sq ft, I would put in a wall mount propane space heater and run it off a 160# tank.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks everyone for the replies. I know there is a lot of sound advise posted here but not quite what I am looking for at the moment. The garage is old and was scheduled to be knocked down last summer and rebuilt until a new roof, twisted back and a job change brought that to a screeching halt.

I'm not out there a lot and hardly ever for more than a few hours and when it's really cold, not at all. Just looking to warm it enough so that I can work on the boat w/o gloves on. So to everyone suggesting nat. gas, well that will have to wait until the new garage is built.

But for now I've aquired a Kero Heat 23000btu heater used from a guy down the street for $40.00, he's moving and this one is like new. So I'll use it for this winter and see how well it works.

Again Thanks!!!!!

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Glad to hear you found a deal on a heater.

A quick trick to keeping the heat in is to get a role of poly and staple it to the walls and ceiling.

bigdee

Commander
Last edited: