garage door opener

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Genie garage door opener. The other day it stopped working. When I press the remote or switch on the wall the light clicks on and it does nothing else. I can not find a reset button on the outside of the unit. Any ideas about what may be wrong with it. It is a chain drive unit.

WizeOne

Commander
Re: garage door opener

I'd say the motor is shot. No doubt the controls still send a signal. If it was a bad clutch, you'd still hear the motor running. If something had jammed you would still get some amount of action out of it.

I don't recall ever seeing a 'reset' button on a G/D opener but then again maybe you could Google the manual w/ trouble shooting hints.

ehenry

Commander

Mine did the same thing. Believe it or not but I unplugged it for a few minutes plugged it back up and it started working again. The only other problem I've has was when it stripped one of the plastic gears.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Unless all of the safety controls have been bypassed the motor is the last thing that I would suspect.Those motors are extremely durable and typically have a long service life....the safety stuff is much more fragile and more prone to hiccups.
If you have the manual, in order, I would first do a visual on the chain mechanism and make sure that the limit switches are not being interfered with somehow, then I would check the function of the 'magic eye'. There are a few variations, but most can be bumped, or somehow, thrown out of adjustment. Then I would move to the motor..... check that there is power at the output terminals to the motor when the remote or wall switches are activated.
If there is power, at that point I would conclude that the motor is indeed shot.

Someone will probably suggest that it would be better logic to check the power to the motor FIRST, and i would agree, except that the other tests are much easier to do and more frequent problems. Also, testing the power output requires (usually) opening a closed box and some creative connections unless you have extra hands.

If you don't have a manual, Genie does have a website with downloadable manuals and t/shooting tips as was suggested.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Mine did the same thing. Believe it or not but I unplugged it for a few minutes plugged it back up and it started working again. The only other problem I've has was when it stripped one of the plastic gears.

Well, you can't argue with success! That could be be a reset function.
Sure worth a try.

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First thing I checked was the Magic Eye and they are lined up correctly. I also disconnected the garage door and tried to cycle it again. Tonight I will look at the limit switch. I believe that there is a slot through the shroud that you can view them from. Might as well unplug it while I'm up there too. My father in law will be home over the holidays and I will have him check the power source since he is an electrician. Thanks for the input everyone.

Splat

Lieutenant

Sounds dumb but grab the door make sure it's latched into the carrage and give it a good nudge. Try to get the motor turn just a tad. You may have a work motor and the brushes sitting in a bad spot on the stator.

Bill

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unplugged the opener but it did not reset. Limit switchs are clear too. I'll try nudging it tonight.

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Called the manufacturer hotline last night and the rep gave instructions on how to trouble shoot. Diagnosis was a bad circuit board probably the relay. Since unit is still under warranty they are sending me one at no charge, just had to pay the shipping which was under $7. Thanks for all the help.