Gangland violence-marine mammal style

Re: Gangland violence-marine mammal style

Hey PW2, I'm in Oak Harbor WA and have frequently seen resident and transient orcas and sometimes grey whales around the Sound, and have even seen the tell-tale shrimp feeding pits made in shallow areas of Saratoga passage by the grey whales. This sounds amazing!

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer

So they're no longer called "homeless killer whales"? They're called "transient killer whales"? Oh brother, this PC stuff is out of hand. Guess you guys wouldn't appreciate my "nuke the gay whales" bumper sticker.:D

PW2

Commander

Yep, it is cool!

I grew up along the SW side of Whidbey Island, and I recall vividly my first encounter with what I presume was a grey whale.

My brother and I were in a 14 foot wood boat anchored in 100 ft of water (I was about 12 years old) in our favorite salmon fishing hole. A grey whale surfaced and blew right next to us. Not sure how big it was, or how close it was, but we got wet from the spray of his blowing, and it was a heck of a lot bigger than our little boat, and I guarantee it makes a lasting impression to a 12 year old!

I think we set a world speed record for pulling up an anchor rope!

We used to see pods of killer whales all the time. They were impressive, but not usually frightening, and other than ruining salmon fishing for a few days, not all that memorable.