Gambling

baiwan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Buying a second hand motor is like gambling. Once you start you can't quit. I've got one three years ago, fixed it and felt it was the perfect one for my boat until I got across an ad for a more powerful one.
Now I am repairing it. I feel like I am in the middle of the game inspecting things. It's a thrill.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Gambling

That's what I also thought about 50 odd engines ago!

CATransplant

Admiral

ain't it fun!!!!

Well, usually. There are exceptions, though, that can have you tearing your hair out. I give you my Ted Williams 9.9 with the bad ignition. Or, I would, except I managed to sell it as part of a multi-outboard deal. Now, it's someone else's heartache. :D

baiwan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's more than fun. Everything is in your hands. I can't explain the feeling of success in removing a bolt or nut without damage.

hawkerjv

Seaman Apprentice

Hello my name is ________, and It's been 18 days since my last outboard. Well that's how the meeting starts at AA. Yea it's an addiction and yes I'm looking for my next fix.
Sure was a nice day here in Wisconsin

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought I was nuts with a dozen or so motors, until I went to New Hampshire two weeks ago to trade a 9.5 for a 40. The guy ( great guy) had to have 200 small hp motors. he would buy, sell, trade, repair. had them all lined up in his house, his garage, every where I turned he would open a closet door and there would be ten or so (neatly) stuffed in. His house had the wonderful aroma of 50:1. They only thing I enjoy more is fishing. Ronnie

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

A 50:1 aroma? Dang... they're all too new... There's nothing that beats a 24:1 aroma!

mthieme

Captain

Yup, got a Merc 402 out there now I've been tinkering with. Sometime this spring, I have to hook up the wiring harness and then the magic moment!!!! Will it run?:)

Benny1963

Lieutenant

yes its good you guys on here have got me in up to my eyeballs.
1983 175 finished evin total restore
1981 150 finished being painted.
and looking for all the small stuff i can get. but in louisiana ya cant find a small outboard for less than 400 damn duck hunters.
im hookeed i work on my boats more than i fish

Rick.

Captain

yes its good you guys on here have got me in up to my eyeballs.
1983 175 finished evin total restore
1981 150 finished being painted.
and looking for all the small stuff i can get. but in louisiana ya cant find a small outboard for less than 400 damn duck hunters.
im hookeed i work on my boats more than i fish

"More than you fish" ? You need to take some medicine for that! That's not the way it's meant to be. In western Canada we have ice from Nov. to April so we have ample time to work on motors and dream about fishin. Once the ice melts it's motors be damned. Rick.

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow any time we have safe ice in Rhode Island, we are fishin'

Rick.

Captain

Never developed a taste for ice fishin ....yet. Too many flies to tie and motors to fix and I can do that and be warm. Rick.