Galvanized vs. Painted trailer

EricD

Cadet
What do you think about a freshwater fishing boat trailer in galvanized rather than the traditional painted? Will it look better in the long haul and perhaps require less maintenance? The cost is the same, it appears.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Galvanized vs. Painted trailer

If they're the same price go with galvanized, heck even if it costs more go with galvanized. I've had, and seen too many painted trailers that just rust away even with just fresh water use, although they do last much longer in fresh water than in salt.

Coors

Captain

I have a 1988 galv, and it still looks new.
I flush the insides out after boating, as I boat in brackish.

45Auto

Commander

My 1997 galvanized trailer still looked new when I sold it with the boat last year. My new one is also galvanized!

The ones that are painted to match th boat do look cooler though!

magster65

Commander

No brainer... galvanized or aluminum! Pin-stripe it you need some 'bling'. Painted steel trailers have a much shorter lifespan.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Go galvanised. Mine is painted unfortunately but I had no choice in the matter !!!

ebry710

Ensign

My utility trailer is painted. Great paint, but I have to paint it every few years. The rust always will migrate beyond the usual dinks and scrapes. So image what happens to a submersible trailer, were water goes into places that never would hit my trailer.

The question would be better answered:
Are you a boater or a recreational painter? There isn't enough freetime to dry dock your boat to paint your trailer.