Gale Sovereign 40HP won't run

Riknar

Cadet
Hi everyone. I am new here...first time asking a question.

I recently bought a boat and motor...pretty old.

It has a Gale Sovereign 40 hp motor

Model: 40DE 15B
Serial: 58507

I have checked every system and can get the motor to start, but it will only run for a split second...then it won't start. I leave it for a while, try again...it will start for a second, then quit.

I replaced all fuel lines, rebuilt the carb, compression is good and spark is good.

I would like any ideas on this. I know parts are interchangeable with the Johnson and Evinrudes of the time and have the manuals.

Also...if anyone knows what year this motor is, or any other information I would love to hear it.

Thanks
Dave

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gale Sovereign 40HP won't run

It is a 1962. The last year of Gale production was 1963.

Have you checked the coils? You are wasting your time till you do. They are almost certain to be bad, unless they have already been replaced.

Riknar

Cadet

I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I must admit...I am new to the outboard thing.

How would I check this? What is the usual procedure?

I read on another thread...a fella with a similar problem...and the answer was the float was stuck. I have fuel pouring out of the mouth of the carb when I release the electronic choke.

I rebuilt the carb, but could not find a carb kit in my area...so essentially pulled it apart...cleaned it all like crazy, then put it back together with new gaskets...which I made. So it still has the cork float.

Riknar

Cadet

Also...if anyone happens to know what the part number for the Carb Kit would be, that would be very helpful.

I have seen several on ebay, but don't know which I need.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You have to pull the flywheel to get at the ignition system. A puller is required. A car vibration damper puller with Grade-8 bolts will work. Don't try it with lesser bolts, and don't pull on the outer diameter of the flywheel. Be sure the flywheel and crankshaft tapers are clean and dry and use a torque wrench to tighten the nut to 100-105 ft lbs when reinstalling. This is Extremely Important!!!

A J/E 33hp carb kit will be close enough. 382050 or 18-7010. Right here at iboats. The 382050 from a dealer should have a new composite float, but I hear there are still a lot of cork ones being shipped. The 18-7010 aftermarket one does not include a float.

Does the gas pour out the carb when squeezing the primer bulb? That would be a leaking float valve. If it is just from choking the daylights out of it, thats just flooding the thing.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if the coils are discolored, like this they are toast, and it's easier to replace everything at one time. points, coils, plug wires, condenser, also the impeller. carb kit. around $175-200. but you will have a like new motor. check your compression before ordering anything. unless you have good compression, it won't matter what you put on it.
laingsoutboards.com carries everything you need..

Attachments

• MVC-105S.JPG
    MVC-105S.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That is a good picture that tash posted. Actually, expect the coils to be in even worse shape, like cracked. Also take a good look at the picture and you will see that the points are all greasy. That just don't get it. They need to be cleaned with some electrical spray, or replaced.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that's my 58 35hp, it got all new. why scrimp when it's really inexpensive to do it all at once. those were all good till is got a wire in the wrong place and fried them with direct 12 volts.

Riknar

Cadet

Okay...

I have done a search for the damper puller...and everyone I asked looks at me like I am crazy.

Do you have a pic of one? Or a website link where I could see one?

Thanks so much for the info...this has been extremely informative.

Dave

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Are you kidding? Try asking for a harmonic balancer puller. Any Auto parts store worth opening the doors should have one. So does Harbor Freight.

Riknar

Cadet

I am in Canada...never heard of Harbour Freight.

I am going to check with some specialty tools places.

Would help if I knew what it looked like. hahaha

I went to Canadian tire...and all they had was gear pullers. The kind you said NOT to use.

I will locate it...and take pics of my coils and everything in there.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Princess Auto will be cheaper than Canadian Tire Riknar. Be sure to replace the bolts as stated above and re torque when finished.

Riknar

Cadet

now...can I get these bolts at any hardware store?

Or are they a specialty item I have to purchase from some marine outfit?

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I want to leave NO room for error.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The e-bay thing is the kind of tool you are looking for. A good hardware store or a good auto parts store (here we go again) should have Grade-8 bolts. Don't pay an arm and a leg for them, they are more expensive than grade 5, but should not be outrageous.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Riknar, CTC or Princess Auto, AutoZone or Napa will all have the puller. And most hardware stores have the better bolts. Are you in a small town?

Riknar

Cadet

So what do you think...could it be my coils?

hahahahahaha

all I can say is EUREKA!

Thanks a ton for all of your help guys...Got the coils on order....plus a carb kit and new impeller...just in case.

Turns out I have a Parts place about a block away from me at the marina...doi!

hahahaaha

Anyone have any good tips for changing the coils? Anything I should know before I wreck it?

Again...thanks...cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Not only that, your throttle linkage is out of adjustment.

When installing new coils, the ends of the laminated cores are to line up flush with the machined edges of the posts on which they sit. That establishes the proper air gap to the flywheel magnets.

Attachments

• Cracked coils3.jpg
    Cracked coils3.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0

Riknar

Cadet

Oh geez...not more trouble.

Okay...how do I fix the throttle?

I think there is a problem with theShifter too...it is really hard to move. It does move, but really have to reef on it.

What should I be looking for therE?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

On the throttle, simply loosen the screw in the collar and slide it down the rod so that it makes contact when the arm is against the stop as I indicated in the picture.

Stiff shifter is not so easy. You will probably have to remove the powerhead and take the shifter shaft out and clean the corrosion out of the hole. Can I assume you are not trying to shift it with the throttle advanced?