Fuse box question

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently purchased a 2008 Four Winns. I looked at the fuse box and noticed some of the fuses do not match the size written on the panel. What is the recommendation? Put the proper size in or leave it as is?

image.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuse box question

Unless wiring changes have been made or other accessories added, whatever the box is labeled with is the fuse it should contain. However, fuses protect the wiring to the devices that circuit feeds, not the devices themselves. Think about it. If a fuse blows, it is either due to a short in the wiring or the device itself has begun to draw current than the fuse can handle. If the latter is the case, the device is generally toast. However, a circuit that can handle 15 amps of current safely but is feeding only a very low current device like a basic stereo, there would be no need to have a 15 amp fuse but there would also be no harm in using a 15 amp fuse. On the other hand if a circuit has wire that can safely handle 15 amps is used to feed a high power amplifier, then that circuit would be greatly overloaded regardless what size fuse was used and the wire would get hot, melt the insulation and possibly start a fire long before the fuse actually blew. Clear as mud? Best we can do since we have no idea what gauge wire each circuit on the boat is wired with. Rule of thumb is to never insert a fuse greater than the capacity of the wire. Refer to "ampacity charts" to determine current ratings for wire size and wire lengths.

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what I figured. Just wanted to verify. It's weird because I highly doubt the previous owner changed the fuses. I don't see any major modifications on the 12 volt side. I will put the proper fuses in.

UncleWillie

Captain

... Best we can do since we have no idea what gauge wire each circuit on the boat is wired with. Rule of thumb is to never insert a fuse greater than the capacity of the wire. Refer to "ampacity charts" to determine current ratings for wire size and wire lengths.

+1 ^^^

I only see one fuse that is smaller than labeled. (OK!)
There are a bunch that are over-sized. (Not OK!)
Bigger is Not better in this case.

Using the Correct fuse or a Smaller one is acceptable; Never a Larger one!

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

+1 for smaller OK, bigger not OK

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Well we have no idea what size wires are feeding any of those fused circuits or who may have labeled and/or wired them from the start. If you are serious about doing it correctly, you need to see what size wire is installed for each individual circuit and then see what it is routed to and verify the current rating is proper. If the wire gauge is able to support the current requirement then fuse it to the current level needed. However, if the wire size/gauge will not support the current draw, then either change the wiring to that circuit OR remove the item attached to that wire to another circuit that has the correct size/gauge wire. Then relabel the circuits appropriately and you will have a safe and securely fused/labeled fuse panel... Anything else is purely guess work...and could be a problem when least expected...

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I pulled out the manual and the labels matche. All except the stereo which indicates 3 amps and that is the fuse size in the panel. I will pull the wrong fuses, the ones that are higher than stated, and replace with the proper size.
Thanks ALL