Fuse Block location?

scottybm1

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1980 Jetster, it didn't have much in the way of electrical accessories when I bought it. Just a motor, nav lights and fuel gauge. There are no fuses installed that I can find and I have a small problem with that. I've since added a stereo and a bilge pump. My question is, where is the best place to mount a fuse block to protect my boat? My battery is in the stern, behind a quickly removable panel. Should I put the fuse block near the battery or in the front near the accessories? I'm leaning towards the aft location due to the location of the battery but thought it might be a little more protected up forward and most of the accessories are located up there.
Thanks in advance,
Scotty

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fuse Block location?

I say front.
IMO it's easier to run a larger gauge + and - wire from the battery to a fuse block close to the accessories.
That's how I did the wiring on my jonboat console. Horn, nav lights, sounder, 12V recept.

sprintst

Commander

I put my fuse block behind the bow/dash supports so it's dry and easily accessible. Everything comes back to the fuse block with only a + and - going back to the battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You do not typically install a fuse panel at the stern of the boat when the bulk of the accessories are up front. That would require full length runs of ground and hot wires for each accessory. You have a 20 or 30A fuse at the battery then run a pair of #8 or #10 wires (red & black) to the fuse panel at the helm. All accessories get wired there. The fuse at the battery protects the large cables between the battery and fuse panel. The fuses in the fuse panel protect the accessory circuits. The wires between the battery and fuse panel must be sized so they can carry the amount of current all accessories draw if they were on at the same time.

scottybm1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to everyone. I was going to put it back aft, now I'm going to re-do everything and locate it under the dash. Everyone makes a great point as to why and this is why I use this forum.
Thanks again,
Scotty

Tim Wagner

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I did mine, I put it also up under the drivers side console.
If you dont have a console, then Id put it in an easily accessable loctation where it will stay dry.
Run 12 or even better yet 10 gauge wire to it and add your circuits from there.
Every device should have a positive and a negative coming back to the fuse block.
DO NOT do the daisy chain stunt with your commons (negatives) you are asking for trouble.
Every negative comes back to your DC common buss.
That is the correct way to do it.
If you have a trolling motor, run seperate 10 gauge wires to a nice beefy marine type breaker or (if not at least a fuse of about 30 amps). do this cause if one day it snows and pushes your cover down on top the foot control and turns on your motor, the breaker will trip and save a melt down. (How do I know this??? take a guess!!)

I never had any electrical problems. My stereo cranks and doesnt have them "missles" in the backround from the motor running.
The VHF is clear and my fishfinder/GPS is clear and dont ever screw up.

My 2 cents.