Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
This boat seems a little long for the trailer. I wonder how it actually balanced while going down the road? :facepalm:

00g0g_isnt4eiKxcd_600x450.jpg

But it is only $575 dollars. http://macon.craigslist.org/boa/5665489000.html

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm guessing a scam or some guy pissed off his wife and she is selling his boat fast.

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like the $50 firm for the first one with Bill Of Sell. But that second one has a clean title. But that is the only thing clean about that one.

The second one sure has a lot of rivets for a fiberglass boat

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'm guessing a scam or some guy pissed off his wife and she is selling his boat fast.

yeah scam. about a year and a half ago I almost fell for one very similar. I thought I'd never fall for one - looking back it was pretty sophisticated. Then I found the same boat across the country

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
yeah scam. about a year and a half ago I almost fell for one very similar. I thought I'd never fall for one - looking back it was pretty sophisticated. Then I found the same boat across the country

sooo what is the scam exactly???

they get your telephone # or email somehow to sell to a heavy advertising company????

bob

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
sooo what is the scam exactly???

they get your telephone # or email somehow to sell to a heavy advertising company????

bob

I think it is typically a payment of a deposit or whatever they think they can get out of you. The buyer loses track of good sense and sends payment because they are so excited by the tremendous deal they believe they are jumping on before another buyer beats them to it. Like joe said, it sounds so stupid that no one would ever fall for it but they take advantage of the emotional response and excitement of being able to buy something that should be outside of their price range.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I think it is typically a payment of a deposit or whatever they think they can get out of you. The buyer loses track of good sense and sends payment because they are so excited by the tremendous deal they believe they are jumping on before another buyer beats them to it. Like joe said, it sounds so stupid that no one would ever fall for it but they take advantage of the emotional response and excitement of being able to buy something that should be outside of their price range.

I guess its a numbers game...if they attract 1000 targets and only ONE is dumb enough to take the bait....its worth it.

bob

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

Any picture of a boat where the registration numbers are missing or not visible is probably a scam or stolen

Pusher

Lieutenant
I think the sneakiest scam I've heard of yet is where a delivery man pulls up in his delivery vehicle with a gift basket and a bottle of wine. He then says it's a delivery from a secret admirer. As you reach for it he hands you the basket and says since there's alcohol he has to see your id and process a $2.50 liquor tax fee. Then he runs off with all your info while you happily munch at your $20 gift basket.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
I think the sneakiest scam I've heard of yet is where a delivery man pulls up in his delivery vehicle with a gift basket and a bottle of wine. He then says it's a delivery from a secret admirer. As you reach for it he hands you the basket and says since there's alcohol he has to see your id and process a $2.50 liquor tax fee. Then he runs off with all your info while you happily munch at your $20 gift basket.

Wow that's the first time I heard of that one!

I recently had a call from NV stating they had someone in my area looking for the EXACT boat I was selling and they said they would finance the buyer exactly my asking price of $11,000.....he asked if there were any issues with the boat I said the transom is rotted and the engine is about to fall off....he said "are you serious" and laughed......he said he had to talk to his supervisor and he will call me right back, never heard from them since. I live in Connecticut by the way.

My other favorite is the texts about 5 minutes after posting the ad "I'm willing to pay your asking price plus $500 if you delete the ad now and send me your exact address and full name, my shipper will come and pick it up after the check clears" I usually send them something extremely rude back.....and never hear from them again.....

I actually know someone who fell for one of the scams he paid for a truck sight unseen, some where around $2,500 and the ad screamed to good to be true, once he wired the money never heard from the person again....and guess what? No truck

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sad that there are such devious folks in the world. But with the 330 million citizens we presently have, it only takes a few to cause such horror. I often wonder that if those scamming folks actually put such efforts into a real job, they would make money and have self satisfaction for working for their needs. :facepalm:

Pusher

Lieutenant
I've watched those coupons shows and it seems like it's all about finding the deal. Maybe these guys don't get satisfaction from honest work. Maybe they should have been a hacker for the government.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
There is a boat on Craigs minneapolis a 1954 Merrie M the pictures show it to be in good shape, I got the seller to send me additional pictures and the steering is not stock alumacraft and they moved the steering from the back cockpit to the front and hacked up the dash horribly. The guy thinks he is sitting on a highly desirable vintage boat, he wants the fully restored price for a boat that is not original and damaged. Some sellers......