Funky distributor?

newbster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
almost... almost works...

Delco distributor in a 84 470 motor.

History: I replaced wires, coil, cap, rotor. The ignition was upgraded to Pertronix 2, coil is flamethrower2. Distributor was disassembled and put back together at a speed shop.

With timing set to 5* BTDC at idle it coughs through the carb, especially when cranking. If I retard it about 30* it starts fine, does not cough but idles crappy. If I advance the timing it will cough more but idle faster. It coughs the most at crank.

My theory: I'm thinking timing is being put off by the fly weights not having the proper tension on them. When the motor starts the timing per the light is significantly retarded but then comes to the setting after 15 seconds. What else could mess up a setting? I'm pretty sure I'm not arcing in the cap as its dry and the behavior is consistent with the timing setting changes.

Thoughts? If I'm right, is there a dynamic setting for the Delco Distributor? X many degrees at 1000 RPM, then Y many at 2000 etc?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Funky distributor?

Check your firing order. Make sure it's going the same direction as the rotor.

newbster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Funky distributor?

Well...
Maybe you guys can appreciate this..

When I put the distro back I lined up the rotor and #1 and the flywheel with tdc. Good procedure but a 50/50 shot. I did not think much of it since I took a picture and did not move the crank.

Once I put it back the first crank showed some promise but it coughed up. Taking a quick look at it, I noticed the firing order and tried switching the wires since perhaps I put them back on in the wrong order and my timing was still a rough guess. That seems to do the trick, the motor started right up but was a bit weird as described above.

I was wrong.. I had it tdc when I took it off but was on the wrong cycle. When I switched the wires assuming I got that wrong and timing was still not set I was wrong again. The reason it ran better is the 2 wires are on the opposite sides so now, being off 180 but on opposite sides they were firing about right. The motor started and ran pretty darn good but was still a bit off.
So.... Pulled the cap and caught the rotation direction bad call and figured it out from there. The rotor was off 180 due to wrong side of the cycle and the #3 and #2 were switched because I assumed I had the right side when I took it off.

Ahh... the fun of being a shade tree mechanic!

It all runs pretty good now! What amazes me is it ran pretty decent being all screwed up...>

Good call Don and thanks!