full throttle start only

ebard

Recruit
i have a 1985 85 hp force outboard that i can get to start if i put it in full throttle . if i throttle it down it dies . i cant start it in neutral even tho i seams to want to. current start procedure full throttle and push in safty neutral switch.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: full throttle start only

Primer bulb up firm, throttle in fast idle, push key in to choke, hold key in till start. Neutral saftey switch should be positioned so you don't manually don't have to do anything with it. Scroll on down for more threads concerning this subject.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats.

Open fuel tank vent

Check the kill switch, place in "run" position

Squeeze fuel primer bulb till firm.

Advance the throttle 3/4 way, without putting it in gear. -- This is done by either pushing a button in the center of the controls, or pulling the shift handle toward the driver, or raising the fast idle lever, all depending on what control unit you have.

Turn the key to the on/run position.

Activate the choke by pushing in on the key. The valve is only open while the key is being pushed in.

Turn the key to start while continuing to hold the key in.

Release the key and choke when it starts.

3-5 seconds of "choke", is usually enough.

Be ready to pull the throttle back toward the idle/neutral position, when the engine starts and the revs increase.

Continue to pull the throttle back as the engine warms up.

You should not have to use the choke much, if at all, once the engine has warmed up.

Engine should start within 10 seconds of turning the key.

Then you seem to have a second issue, "if i throttle it down it dies"

You need to check for spark on all plugs, and check compression. If you have spark and compression, move on to the fuel system.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Profile,location? You might be close to someone who can help??
Do a compression test. Post your results.