fueling the boat... leaded gas? Grounding concerns?

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an in board fuel tank in the fiberglass tri hull. What is the procedure for adding fuel on the trailer? I am used to setting my plastic tanks on the ground for filling. Do I need to worry about grounding?

Also, my engine (165 mercruiser straight six) has a sticker that says to use leaded gas. I used to add lead substitute to the old motor bikes that called for leaded gas. Should I use lead substitute in this engine?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I have an in board fuel tank in the fiberglass tri hull. What is the procedure for adding fuel on the trailer? I am used to setting my plastic tanks on the ground for filling. Do I need to worry about grounding?

No problems. I have been fueling my boat for 29 years by just driving to the petrol shop, throwing the fuelling nozzle into the tank filler and pulling the trigger, just like your car....

Also, my engine (165 mercruiser straight six) has a sticker that says to use leaded gas. I used to add lead substitute to the old motor bikes that called for leaded gas. Should I use lead substitute in this engine?

Either that, or take the cylinder head off, have hardened valve seats fitted and retard the timing 2 degrees. (unleaded petrol burns slightly faster than the old leaded did.)

Chris...........