Fuel "water seperator" Filter

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer
After reading the thread about differences in regular Marine or Auto Oil filters, it appears, most feel there is not much difference in quality, (or plenty sucess stories using both types) some difference in price.<br /><br />My 2003 350 Mag, also has a Fuel Filter, which looks like an Oil Filter, and has "Water Seperating Fuel Filter" written on it. I am still under warranty, and plan to replace this filter with Original replacement fuel filter, at the least, through my warranty.<br /><br />I read one of the posters, on the other thread, that stated he has used a regular "Correct type" oil filter, even for his fuel Filter, for years, with no problems. <br /><br />Just for my curiosity, what is the difference, and what makes this filter a "Water Seperator"? Could a regular Oil filter of the correct type, be used, if it is changed every year, or every 100 hours? <br /><br />I had once asked a question about the difference in "High Performance Gear Lube", and "Premium Gear lube" for the outdrive. A friend, who had a relative that worked in a Lube factory, explained that the "High Performance Gear Lube" had a "High Pressure Additive to it, that the "Premium Gear Lube" did not. OK, now I know what I am paying extra for, to protect my investment in my motor.<br /><br />So, can anybody explain what I'm paying extra for, on these special filter(s)?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fuel "water seperator" Filter

You Need an OIL Filter for OIL.....<br />And a FUEL Filter for Fuel.....<br />The Mircron ratings are Different....

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep what Bondo says:).<br /> and all the 350 mpi mags I have seen have an inline filter between the tank and the low presure boost pump. this will be a very fine filter. should give lots of problems. also merc reccomends the engine off for 12 hours prior to removing the water seperator do to its now a pressurized filter.I dont engineer them I just gotta fix them.<br /> good luck and keep posting :)

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Is the fuel separator filter for a 1999 350 pressurized?

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info. <br /><br />Rodbolt, I did read about waiting 12 hours before removing fuel filter. Even long after 12 hours, when I was removing mine, checking out the possible bad fuel (which it was not) it was a PAIN to get off. I had to use a Nail Puller to brace between the Oil Filter Holder housting, and the Holder housing for the fuel filter, and a Oil filter wrench on the fuel filter to get it off. Whew, hope it is not that rough each time!<br /><br /> Rodbolt, can you give me more info on this very fine filter, in line between the tank and low pressure boost pump? I should look into this, being low fuel pressure is one of the problems that the dealer also suspected in iratic RPM's when testing Props. Can this be bad already with just less than 80 hours on the boat, bought on July 3rd this year, and using good fuel, and running it every other weekend, at the least? How often should this filter be changed, and how much of a pain is it to change?<br /><br />Bondo, thanks for the answer "Micron ratings are different" Don't worry, plan to continue using a FUEL water seperating filter. Just for knowledge, is the Micron ratings, something like a discussion I had with one of my Captain's about guys burning up an Outboard using a in line fuel filter, because it was not allowing the correct amount of oil to go through it? That being the case, with my fuel not having oil mixed in it, where is the water that the fuel seperating filter is supposed to filter, going to? Is there a compartment inside the filter, something like the old time gas bowls that you used to unscrew, pour out, and bolt back on? <br /><br />Sorry for all the questions, just want to know what I am talking about!

Bondo

Staff member

Well, I can't tell you Why your outboard burnt up... a Gas filter Will pass Gas + Oil mixture.... When Mixed(or diluted) oil is about as Thin as the gas, thinner/Lighter than Water....<br /><br />Yes, Think of a seperating filter as a Large Float Bowl Filter.......<br />And YES, I've dumped 1 out,+ Made it back to Shore.....

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Bondo, Just to clarify, I didn't burn up an Outboard. I was being told a story of some guys that burned up an Outboard motor, because they used a type of filter that was not letting the oil get through, and the motor was running to lean. Or at least that is what I got from the conversation.<br /><br />I have an Inboard, and I was just learning about the filters and how they work. So the water should go to the bottom of the filter, and the Gas should pass through being lighter. Thanks for the discription. Hopefully I'll keep water out, As Much As Possible.<br /><br />Still would like to hear more about that other screen filter though.<br /><br />Thanks Bondo, for your reply.