Fuel transfer station on swim step.

BearlyFunctioning

Seaman Apprentice
I would like to add a small 1/4" or 3/8" fuel transfer line from the main gas tank to my swim platform for refueling my 2 stroke kicker. What are the guidelines/rules/regulations for this? Anyone with been there done that suggestions would be helpful.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I assume your main engine is a 4-stroke and/or the kicker motor has an integral tank, so you can't plumb it into the fuel feed for the main motor? I know of no safe way to do what you're proposing.

My .02

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure about the safety aspect, but I have a buddy who teed in to a fuel pickup line and added a small electric fuel pump with a hose. He put a shutoff valve near the far end of the hose and he uses it to refuel his Honda EU generator.Stows it on top of the fuel tank coiled and tied off with a velcro strap.

BearlyFunctioning

Seaman Apprentice
My fuel tank on my 1982 sea ray srv225 express cruiser is buried in the middle of the hull. So far my plan is to leave a fuel hose through the transom as if it were to be used for a kicker drawing off the main tank.

What little info I have found said to use the extra port on my water/fuel separator would be best. But that was for direct plumbing a kicker. It would still work for this application.

Glad to hear about the electric (marine) fuel pump idea.

I'm looking for a slick (more fail safe) way to plumb the outlet other than just a ball valve. What I have come up with is to plumb the hose comming out of the transom with a standard outboard quick connect fitting. Then attach a ball valve to the mate of said fitting. That would give fuel control while refueling, then removal after use would leave a standard accepted fuel fitting left on the transom.

The only loose end (possible un safe) item I still see is getting the electric full pump wired to not ever be left acentdently live when done refueling the two stroke outboard.

I appreciate the comments.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Control the pump with a NO (normally open) push button switch.. You will have to keep your finger on it for the pump to run.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The NO switch is a good idea so you don't leave the pump on. If you mount the switch, put in the rear so you can keep an eye on tank or make an extension for the wiring to a hand-held switch. You don't want to be caught with an overflowing tank causing fuel in the water!

BearlyFunctioning

Seaman Apprentice
I do like the idea of a "normally open" switch on the transom, hadn't thought of that. An arming switch and flashing light on the dash was my other option.

Thanks for all the help.