Fuel Tank Question

TopGunn

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I have a question regarding different fuel tanks for boats.

My question is, is there a difference in fuel tanks for outboards and inboards? My boat 18 ft Glastron fishing boat has a old Merc outboard but has an aftermarket 30 gallon aluminum marine fuel tank. I bought the boat as a project to finish and im 99% done and this is a concern of mine.

I was looking at fuel tanks and in the catalog I see "Below deck permanent tank" Which is pretty much what I have and I see a picture of an inboard engine on that page with it. Option 2 is "Portable topside OUTBOARD fuel tank" which has a picture of an outboard engine on the page.

Now im just wondering if there is a difference and if im going to have to switch over to the topside/ OUTBOARD kind because I have an outboard engine.

Thanks for your time

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuel Tank Question

I don't understand why you would have to change to an exturnal gas tank for an outboard. Think about it every bass boat i know of has an outboard motor and i cant think of a single one that has an external gas tank.

Now that i said that I'm sure someone will tell me of one.:D

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Fuel Tank Question

your permantently mounted tank (properly installed and vented to the outside, of course) can be used with any drive configuration - inboard, inboard-outboard or outboard.

Your portable outboard tank must remain above-deck in a ventilated area as it has no other means of positive ventilation. Its size alone (small) is going to make it unsuitable for use in an inboard.

Don't worry- be happy. You're fine.