Fuel Pump out put

jvbarber00

Cadet
Is Permatex 80632 thread sealant what i should use to put on the threads that lead to the fuel supply line that goes to the carb. If so how long does it take to dry and if not, what should i use

For pipe threads like in the fuel pump itself, or on a fuel water separator body, if the sealer is rated for gasoline I say go for it. There are many thread sealers on the market. Usually you don't have to wait to put it into use, as long as it is tight it's ready.... but read the directions on the package.... some may.

For threaded fittings that are attached to the metal fuel line and connect the line to the carb, these are flare fittings and the threads do not seal anything. They pull the flare in tight. The flare does the sealing. The larger threaded fitting on the inlet of the carb usually has a gasket and no sealer there either.

This picture is of flare fittings these threads get no sealer.

3091_st.jpg

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Is Permatex 80632 thread sealant what i should use to put on the threads that lead to the fuel supply line that goes to the carb. If so how long does it take to dry and if not, what should i use

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... What Eric says,..... pipe dope for the adapter fittin's into the fuel pump, 'n filter housin',....

The metal line from the pump to carb uses flare fittin's to seal, no pipe dope needed,....

jvbarber00

Cadet
Thanks guys, I have a 90 Degree elbow with threads that screws into the fuel pump. That piece then connects to the metal line that goes to the carb. There is a dripping leak when that boat runs. The leaking is coming from that connection. The fuel pump was just replaced and the guy that did it is an hour away so i was looking to try and fix this myself. This is the first time i have ran the boat since the pump was replaced. Hope that is a better explanation of what I am trying to say.

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 90 Degree elbow with threads that screws into the fuel pump. That piece then connects to the metal line that goes to the carb. There is a dripping leak when that boat runs. The leaking is coming from that connection.

Ayuh,..... Ok, that adapter fittin', is pipe thread into the pump, 'n needs sealant,.....

The line connection side is a flare, doesn't,....

Usin' 2 wrenches, Crack loose the fittin' on the carb end of that line to relieve the tension,....
Remove the line, from yer leakin' fittin' at the pump,....
Remove the fittin' in the pump,....
Inspect the fittin', both sides, the port in the pump, 'n the flare on the end of the steel line,....
Any problems, replace the offendin' pieces,...

Put pipe dope on the threads of the leakin' fittin' 'n screw it into the pump, stoppin' when it's pointed the right way, with pretty fair tension/ torque,....
key is "Pointed the right way",... don't over-tighten it, 'n bust the pump,....
Then reattach the line, snug it Tight, then with 2 wrenches, retighten the fittin' at the carb,....

jvbarber00

Cadet
Thanks guys, will get on that first thing in the morning. Sure made for a crap day when I put my boat in the water, lifted the engine cover, fired her up and what do i find but a fuel leak. So pull boat out of the water, kids screaming that want to hit the water. So we sat in the boat and ate our lunch and called it a day, lol. Again thanks guys. Iboats and you guys are to good.