Fuel Pump or Carburator?

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just took my boat out of winter storage. The outboard is a 1977 115 hp Johnson. Oldie/Goldie, put is still a workhorse. I had ran all the gas out of the motor and sprayed fogging oil in the carbs before I put her away for winter, which was not much here in NC.

Today, I put in new spark plugs and then changed the 8 inch piece of hose inside the engine that goes from the fuel connected to the fuel pump. Put new gas/oil into the empty gas tank and she started right up. However, after a minute she seemed didn't sound right, and that is when I saw gas/oil leaking out of the bottom of the air silencer that is covering the carbs. I quickly shut her off. Even when i pump the primer bulb, gas/oil is leaking out from the same place. I did take the outermost piece of the fuel pump to make it easier to connect the fuel hose, but there was no gasket to be replaced. I was wondering if this sounds more like a carb issue or could it be a carb and a fuel pump problem? I also last year had an issue with having to let the engine warm up for atleast 10 minutes before opening up the throttle because it would cut off.

If it is a carb issue I know I need two kits (Part # 18-7046), but do I also need the floats or needles? Additionally, if it is the fuel pump, do I just need to buy a new fuel pump altogether or can a newer model kit work? The manual I got doesn't do a good job of listing the exact parts that need to be replaced.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Fuel Pump or Carburator?

may could get by with just cleaning your carbs..sounds like a stuck/dirty needle valve.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

First thing to do is find out where the fuel is leaking from. Start by taking the air silencer cover off.

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Checked all the fuel hoses and the fuel pump, no leaks. Took the air silencer off and when I press the bulb, I can see a gas waterfall coming out of the throat of the carb. I sprayed some carb cleaner to see if I could loosen anything up, but no luck. Do the carb kits have needles or do I need to purchase them seperate or would a good soaking fix them?

SparkieBoat

Captain

clean the needle valve passage., go ahead and clean all the jets/carb bowl also.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get some carb kits for them, disassemble and clean. The needle and seats come in the kit.

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all of your help! After I sprayed some carburator fluid in the throats and let it sit overnight, it fired right up with no problem. Ran it on idle for 20 minutes with the water muffs on and not a single drop of gas leaked from the carbs. May have just been something stuck like was suggested, but going to buy a carb kit and replace this week. Def do not want this to happen while on the water.