fuel pump not running

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: fuel pump not running

Yes. Ok, now, with the key in the run position and with the engine either running or not, do you have power at the choke coil connection?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

so the choke coil would be the black round thing on the side of the carb correct?

Yes, one question. Do you have a problem with the choke since the fuel pump failed? Reason I ask, if you look at the wiring diagram of your fuel system I posted earlier in this thread you will see that your choke power comes from the same wire (purple/yellow) as your fuel pump power comes from. So you will need to have the engine either running or cranking over to get voltage to your choke coil.

jimking

Cadet

ok thanks, a bunch guys, I will try all this stuff later this evening and give y'all an update on what I find out. Again Thanks a Bunch!

jimking

Cadet

ok so i made it home and noticed that both plugs were still plugged into the oil pressure switch, i went ahead and unhooked them and jumped them together and still nothing!!!! i hooked up my test light and plugged it into the factory wiring harness plug that the fuel pump plugs into. (remember i have a toggle switch hooked directly to the pump) i turned the pump on and started the motor. now the fuel pump is not plugged into the harness at this time. and the still the two wires that go to the pressure switch are still jumped together. when i have the key turned to the crank position i am getting power to the factory plug. but once the motor starts to crank and i let the key go back to the run position and the motor is continuing to run the power to the plug is gone. so, in other words. while the key is in the run position no power to pump. now i tried this with the pressure switch wires both plugged into the switch and jumped. so what's my next problem? because i'm totally mind screwed now. if someone could call me with some better information so this would be easier i would greatly appreciate it. just really aggravating to be climbing in and out of the boat to do this.

Don S

I'm not sure what you have jumpered or how you hooked a toggle switch, could you put it back together like it should be so you can test some things?

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need a test light at the least. Do you have 12 volts at the following locations with the key in the run position: coil, electric choke, and fuel pump. Test all three, then report. Dont test just one, or two, all three. It matters.

jimking

Cadet

i put everything back together like factory. still not getting power to the pump when the motor is running. now once priming up the carb to get it to crank, I crank the boat and it will run long enough to use the fuel up in the bowl of the carb. and then it dies. approx. 15-30 seconds. so still the fuel pump doesn't run while the motor runs for those few seconds. also i am using a test light on the plug while it's running and sure enough no power going to the pump. so what next?

Don S

With the key in the run position, do you have voltage on the purple wire on the oil pressure switch?

jimking

Cadet

no there is no voltage at neither the solid purple wire nor the purple w/ yellow stripe wire.

jimking

Cadet

now upon some more testing I am getting power at the purple wire coming off the ignition switch when the key is in the run position and the motor is off. now, if there was no power going through the ignition coil wouldn't that mean that the motor wouldn't run at all?

Don S

With the key in the key in the run position, you should have power on the purple wire. If you have it at the switch, at the coil + terminal, and the purple wire going to the alternator, but NOT on the pressure switch, then you have a break in the purple wire somewhere on the engine.
But, when you turn the key to the start position, you should see voltage on the purple/yellow wire going to the oil pressure switch and the choke coil. If not, then the purple yellow wire may not be hooked to the starter.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fuel Pump Wiring.jpg
    Fuel Pump Wiring.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you download the wiring schematic for you set up yet? I am at my real job and do not have it here. Anyways, at the switch you have three wires. One is hot with key on,one is hot when cranking the engine, and one runs to the pump. you have 12 volts to the coil, the choke, but not the pressure switch is what your saying correct?

jimking

Cadet

correct, power at the ignition switch, i haven't been able to check the purple wire at the ignition coil to see it there is power there, but I would think that i would have power seeing that the motor runs when i had the fuel pump wired directly to the battery. and yes, I have a service manuel for this motor and it has all the wiring diagrams in there.

jimking

Cadet

now for as an experiment, I went ahead and ran a power wire from the purple wire connection on the ignition switch directly to the fuel pump and when the key in turned to the on position you can hear the pump running, and the motor runs perfectly. will this be a problem?

Don S

now for as an experiment, I went ahead and ran a power wire from the purple wire connection on the ignition switch directly to the fuel pump and when the key in turned to the on position you can hear the pump running, and the motor runs perfectly. will this be a problem?

Yes it will be a problem, you are removing all the safety features of the oil pressure switch.

Why don't you find your broken wire and fix it right instead of hacking it together like you are plannng.

Did you even try to do the tests I suggested up in post 31? That would answer a lot of questions instead of just these non tests and work arounds you are doing.

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

As Don stated, once you find out where you have and then do not have power in the pump circuit, the fix is easy. The problem is that YOU need to find this out, but the only way to do this is to follow a system of elimination. Jumping from one thing to another will only frustrate you, and maybe those trying to assist!

jimking

Cadet

ok, according to your directions on post #31 i will go home this evening and follow each step again. now, the only thing i haven't checked is for power on the + terminal of the ignition coil, and the purple wire the alternator. will let you know the results

jimking

Cadet

alright looking at and studying the wiring diagram some more, i am guessing that the solid purple wire going to the oil pressure switch would be the power input wire and when the pressure switch is closed it gives power to the purple/yellow correct? if that is the case, and I have power coming out of the purple wire coming from the alternator could i possible tap in a wire from that purple off the alternator and run it to the oil pressure switch? tell me if that would not be a safe alternative fix?

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you do not have power at the oil pressure switch the proper fix is to find out why. Is your wiring tampered with at all? There is not a huge amount of wiring in a boat (as compared to a new car). So to confirm, you have power at the coil (engine runs). Did you have power at the electric choke connection? How about the run feed on the oil pressure switch?

Don S

The best thing to do is find the real problem. You could have a corroded connection in the wiring harness. if you don't find it and fix it, you may find something else stops working (like the ignition) on the 4th when you are out on the water.