fuel pump conversion..56 johnson javelin NEED HELP ASAP!!

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First off. I have read TD's thread in the FAQ and he has been helping me out.

He sent me a bypass cover that i am supposed to have tapped and drilled.

I have to be at the machine shop before 5:30 and then back to help my mom by 5:45...so time is an issue..hence the reason i made this thread instead of waiting on TD to reply to my PM.

On the back of the bypass cover is solid metal and he said to tap the 2 outer hole 10/24 and drill the center hole 1/4 inch..that is all fine and well but how dep do i go or does it go all the way through?

Also there is an upper and lower bypass cover on the motor and he did not specify as to which one this replaces..by looking at his pics (which should be almost identical to my motor) it doesn't appear to be either as his is in the middle???

I am frustrated and confused...and on a very tight deadline with this... my father is coming in from out of town to go fishing tomorrow...

Thanks TD for all the help thus far and sorry guys for being "rushed"

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: fuel pump conversion..56 johnson javelin NEED HELP ASAP!!

The center 1/4" hole goes right through. That is where the pulse comes through to the pump. The 10-24's on either side is where the pump attaches. They should not go through.

either by pass cover can be used. His is attached to the bottom of the top bypass (where the holes are) and thus the pump is physically between the 2 covers but attached to the upper one.

I have attached photos which I believe are his. Hope this helps.

BTW, don't rush too much or you might bugger something up!

Attachments

• MVC-098S.JPG
    MVC-098S.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 0
  • MVC-099S.JPG
    MVC-099S.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 0
  • MVC-100S.JPG
    MVC-100S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 0
  • MVC-115S.JPG
    MVC-115S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 0
  • MVC-132S.JPG
    MVC-132S.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 0

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The center 1/4" hole goes right through. That is where the pulse comes through to the pump. The 10-24's on either side is where the pump attaches. They should not go through.

either by pass cover can be used. His is attached to the bottom of the top bypass (where the holes are) and thus the pump is physically between the 2 covers but attached to the upper one.

Hope that helps.
it helps with the machining and thanks!

so i dont see any way, shape, form, or fashion that this could mount to my motor...

which bypass do i remove? where is the "pulse" coming from?

IMG_0189.jpg

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah ive seen the pics and that is what confuses me...it doesn't see that he used the bracket he sent me at all and neither of his bypass covers have been removed per his instruction...

im not talking his FAQ down i just am missing something/ dont get it i guess...

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, don't rush too much or you might bugger something up!
i wont i just have to get the machining done ASAP i have all night to do it right...

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have to go to the shop...ill be back to read this in a little bit...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Unless the cover he sent is from a 30hp, it won't work. The one in the pics is from a 35, and it will not fit the 30... To my knowledge, the 30hp cover was never made with the bosses cast in place for a fuel pump.
- Scott

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Unless the cover he sent is from a 30hp, it won't work. The one in the pics is from a 35, and it will not fit the 30... To my knowledge, the 30hp cover was never made with the bosses cast in place for a fuel pump.
- Scott

It was made and used on their accessory cruiser fuel pump system. It was also standard equipment on Gale 25hp motors.

David, send me a PM. I have a proposition for you.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Might be simpler for you to drill the pulse hole and tap the hole for a 1/4 inch nipple fitting, then plumb in a Mikuni fuel pump...worked great on my 57 Evinrude Big Twin 35 hp. Pump costs about $30. Hope you and your Dad have a good time. Pix are in the same thread as TD's fuel pump conversion thread.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

David, if you clik on my pics, they will enlarge so you can see. remove your bottom, cover, install the new one that has been drilled and tapped. put the gasket between cover and pump, install 10/24 bolts. fuel line from tank goes on the black fitting, to the carb, the body of the pump. connect to carb, pump up the bulb and start. you did block off the hose under the carb, correct.

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

David, if you clik on my pics, they will enlarge so you can see. remove your bottom, cover, install the new one that has been drilled and tapped. put the gasket between cover and pump, install 10/24 bolts. fuel line from tank goes on the black fitting, to the carb, the body of the pump. connect to carb, pump up the bulb and start. you did block off the hose under the carb, correct.
i enlarged them and still didnt see your mounted on either..yours seems to be in the middle of both...sorry

so i am about to take off the bottom one of the motor and mopunt this one in its place... i will update shortly....

oh and i have a 2line tank that needs a lot of work if any one wants it for a cheap price plus shipping make me an offer... it has rust hence the reason it wouldnt hold pressure...

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

- Scott
yeah i just found that out its to big :( and i had it machined so i guess it is now useless unless someone with a 35 is doing this same conversion...

so now what do i do? i have a $50 fuel pump and no way to mount it and my 2 line system stinks and wont hold pressure..

my dad is on his way from out of town :(

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Might be simpler for you to drill the pulse hole and tap the hole for a 1/4 inch nipple fitting, then plumb in a Mikuni fuel pump...worked great on my 57 Evinrude Big Twin 35 hp. Pump costs about $30. Hope you and your Dad have a good time. Pix are in the same thread as TD's fuel pump conversion thread.
to late for that...bc well i have $100 worth of parts to do it this way but apparently im kind of screwed... .

so i called my dad and told him we would be going fishing as i cant get the boat going... oh well there is always next month.. :)

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TashasDaddy you have a PM.

I don't know what to do now other than try and custom fab something using my original bypass cover.... :mad:

jbjennings

Captain

David,
Here's a thought. I've tried this method on a '53 10hp and a '55 7.5 hp and it worked perfectly. It's something you might consider if you're in a hurry because it's easily reversible. Take off the carb, then the intake manifold. Be careful you don't miss any of the screws and try to pull hard on the intake with screws still holding it and ruin the intake. If you're careful, you may be able to get the intake off without damaging the gasket. If not, get some 1/16 thick felpro gasket material and trace the outline of your old gasket and make your own without having to wait for another factory gasket. With the intake manifold off, you'll see a little black flapper-valve thing. Take it off, being very careful to save the tiny screws and stuff so you can use them again in case you don't like this ugly method and want to redo it. Now, get yourself a box of assorted plastic vacuum line plugs and put one of them in one of the 2 holes you see exposed by taking off the flapper valve. Trim the excess off your vacuum plug so that when you put your manifold back on, it will gently squeeze the vacuum plug and hold it in the hole in order to block it. Now reinstall the intake, carb. Your fitting on the intake manifold will now give a pulse vacuum just like the cover you were going to modify. You can run your vaccum line from the intake fitting to your pump, then the fuel line from tank and fuel line to carb and you're done. Personally, if I was going to do another one, I'd tap the intake cover for the 1/4 inch NPT fitting like you were told earlier and go from there. But the method I told you about is reversible which I like and it doesn't take any new parts you don't have except an intake gasket which you can make yourself.
Hope you get it fixed,
JBJ

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Jason, you can always plug the drilled hole with JB weld and then it's even easier to reverse :) I was using good ole JB weld yesterday on my newest 1962 Johnson 10 :) I think I'll go check it now to see how it worked out :)

jbjennings

Captain

Hey Steve,
Hurry up and take a pic of your place on the lake....I need something to dream about. I'd like to buy myself a little piece of land up north if I live long enough and stay up there when it's miserably hot down here. I like the cold but do realize that snow would be a pain after a couple of weeks. Would like to go snowmobiling, coon/rabbit/duck hunting in the snow, ice fishing, etc. which I have never done. I'd also like to see the northern lights before I keel over. Do you ever see them up there where you're from? How 'bout the ice--you boating yet?
I've never tried the JBWeld method....sounds easy alright!
JBJ

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Here's a pic I took yesterday down at the water front (river) just before I dropped my trusty ole Evinrude '61 5.5 on my 12' aluminum and got out on the water for the first time... There's still ice around as you can see but the weather is warming up...

Come visit :)

Oh, and try JB Weld... it's great... under $10... You get 2 tubes and mixes like epoxy... and the stuff comes out like liquid aluminum... it seals anything... and they say you can drill and tap it after (I have never tried) but everything else I have tried with it was 100% fixed...

Attachments

• HPIM7920 small.jpg
    HPIM7920 small.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK i took the boat out this afternoon and i found out that when i plug the vent hole in the gas cap she runs great!! however after several good runs she got down to 1.5-2 gallons of gas she started acting up again and not running good...

when this motor gets the gas it needs it will run GOOD! i think i might seal the gas cap on this thing...but idk if that is a good idea???

any way thought i would update everyone..