Fuel Pump Choice Help

nodima

Seaman Apprentice
The fuel pump on my outboard needs to be replaced/rebuilt. The motor is a 2005 Mercury Bigfoot 25, serial number 1B1 84873. I've looked all over, and it appears that Mercury does not stock a diaphram kit any longer, but will sell a pump assembly for ~$90 or an entire fuel pump for ~$140. Iboats has a Sierra diaphram kit available, but the one that pulls up for a 25 is the wrong shape. The fuel pump on my engine is square. Which is the correct Sierra kit for this outboard - is it 18-7817? I'd love to try to replace the diaphrams rather than the entire pump if possible.

Symptoms are hard starting, and will not stay running long. Primer bulb is not filling as it used to. Both the fuel/water separator and under cowling filters were changed, along with the fuel line.

Thanks

Nodima

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fuel Pump Choice Help

Can you post a picture of the pump that you have on the motor? It would help, as it could have been switched out for a diffrent pump from stock.
Oldman570

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

A call to Marine parts plus should get you the correct rebuild kit for your fuel pump. If they do not have it you might try a search of Crowelly Marine for a kit. I've had very good luck getting parts from them. Mercury Marine should be able to get the needed kit also.
Oldman570

nodima

Seaman Apprentice

To close out this issue - Mercury does not offer a diaphram kit for this fuel pump, nor could I find any aftermarket manufacturer. Options are a rebuild kit for about $100 or an entire fuel pump for about $150. Thanks for the help.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

When some motors are less than 10 years old, aftermarket parts are not yet avalable as the manufacture still holds parts for those motors and want your $$$. Now the question is which way is best to go, and that will depend on you, and how soon you want to get on the water again. As with any big boy toys, some cost more than others.
Best of boating,
Oldman570