Fuel Products

ccmarsh

Seaman
Hello everyone,

My question is about some products I recently saw at the automotive store. The first one is called NOS. It says on the bottle that if you add it to your fuel it will raise the fuel.......something or other by like 10 points or so. I am guessing it is for racing but I was wondering if it could somehow repair sour gas? Also, the bottle I saw was small and only for like a 20 gallon tank. I have a 60 gallon tank in my boat so what could it hurt if I used 1 bottle? Not that I need it mind you, I do use Stabilzer, I am just asking.

The second product, which name I can't remember right now is for taking water out of your fuel. How well does it work? Also, are there any other products out there that people have used in their fuel? If so, what were they and what were the results?

Thank you for your time.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Fuel Products

personaly, i feel that most of the snake oil stuff is just that.... a way to relieve you of yer funds.....
i do use stabil though. at the end of the year to preserve the fuel over the winter.
other than that. i use lead additive for my pre unleaded engine. probably don't even need to use that....
that's all the additives that i use. i figure if the mfg. wanted me to add these fancy addititves, they'd specifiy it in the oem service manual....

for taking water out of the fuel. ya could always add a fuel water seperator..... lots of folks have those......

Last edited:

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

My question is about some products I recently saw at the automotive store. The first one is called NOS. It says on the bottle that if you add it to your fuel it will raise the fuel.......something or other by like 10 points or so.

The second product, which name I can't remember right now is for taking water out of your fuel. How well does it work? Also, are there any other products out there that people have used in their fuel? If so, what were they and what were the results?

Thank you for your time.

1) NOS = octane booster. First, if you don't need more octane in your fuel, this does nothing for you. Second, it won't raise octane by 10 points, it may raise it via a few points. If you need true "race" fuel in a can, use a product called Torco.

2) Additive that helps get water out of the tank... dunno if it works.

Most are snake oil.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

play with that snake oil and ruin your motor, it was built to run on 87 or 89 lead free octane gas with tc-w3 oil. even the old one like lead free gas, better than leaded. it was called white gas way back when.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Concure with dcg, octane booster is mostly a rip off that goes with the wives tale that more octane = more performance, that is why you see the teenagers at the race gas pump putting it in moms car.
Octane is to eliminate knock or preignition, if your engine doesn't knock you don't need more octane,it will do nothing for performance.
The other is a gas lines antifreeze and it actually does work.
It is mostly alcohol, which will mix with both water and gas and it lets you burn both otherwise the water just sits on the bottom of the tank.
Most of the "tune up in a can" thing are aimed at getting your money,Sea-foam and restore are the few that I will recommend

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't see where anyone has told us what engine they are using.

The answers are different for different engines.

No 2 stroke engine need an octane booster, and low compression 4 strokes also.

The most reliable way to eliminate water getting to your engine is to use a water seperating fuel filter, and empty/clean it regularly.

ccmarsh

Seaman

Ok, so just so I'm clear, the majority of people think that these products suck:D Ok, good to know.

Thank you everyone and I do have a fuel and water sep.

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't see where anyone has told us what engine they are using.

The answers are different for different engines.

2 stroke engine need an octane booster, and low compression 4 strokes also.

That's not right, JB.
Two strokes are designed to run on typical pump gas, just like 4-strokes. Remember, motors may be sold in states where higher octane pump gas is not available. Manufacturers must sell to the lowest common denominator. Modified motors are a different topic.

Low compression 4 strokes - if there are such a thing - don't need high octane fuel either. HIGH compression 4 strokes might need additional octane in their fuel to prevent predetonation, but most OEM motors - which a few high HP exceptions - will not fall into this category.

More octane = slower burning fuel, actually less power per unit.
High compression/turbocharged/supercharged high performance vehicles sometimes require higher octane fuel as they're subjecting fuel to additional heat and pressure that makes the fuel ignite early..

edit: This may not be true of "old" 2-strokes and very old 4-strokes - both of which had leaded gas available at the time of design.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

play with that snake oil and ruin your motor, it was built to run on 87 or 89 lead free octane gas with tc-w3 oil. even the old one like lead free gas, better than leaded. it was called white gas way back when.

We always called Coleman Lantern fuel "white gas" must be regional differences thing.