Fuel pooling under cowl

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Gents,
After changing all the carb gaskets on my 1973 Merc 7.5 HP I am still getting a fuel leak from somewhere. It pools up under the carb. I did notice wetness around the bottom of the throttle shaft around the spring. There is no gasket for that. Is it normal for fuel to leak there on old Mercs?

Other than that, after all the work I've done over the past couple months, she's ready to go. Runs great and purs like a kitten.

HD

Bubbles Up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fuel pooling under cowl

Dawg,

Have a look at the fuel line make sure that it is clamped tight,use a gear clamp,I had a fuel leak from the black zip tie,use a gear clamp. Just a shot in the dark.
Mine had the small leak from there and when it met the spark from the bad kill switch it lit.No damage to anything ,but the shop owner that did the repair got an earful from me. I explained that I worked in the aircraft industry and asked him which flight he would be taking and I would use a zip tie to connect a fuel line.He declined the flight and made sure that a gear clamp was in place on all my fittings including the water tube from the block to the pee hole.

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's not the line. New line with new clamps. It's coming from the rear of the carb. Looks like from the throttle where the rod comes out the bottom of the carb and connects to the spring. No gasket there as far as I see from parts diagrams. I replaced all of the gaskets that came in the kit.
Just annoys me. Under cowl fire comes to mind but I'm not terribly concerned with that.

HD

mike1245

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have noticed mine does that if i get too much gas in my carb when it was flooding out when i was trying to start it