Fuel Levels

EvinFla

Seaman
Quick question:<br /><br />Fuel gage does not work. What is the best way to guage fuel levels. Boat is an 18' CC Hydra sport. Any help would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Levels

Short of keeping the tanks as near to full as possible, and keeping a log of all motor usage and rpm, ?????<br /><br />Why not troubleshoot the problem?<br />Fix or replace the bad wiring or sending unit?

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

check the ground wire to the tank sending unit, clean reterminate, and at the meter its self, then if neccesary replace the sender or try to clean it , about 26 bucks. <br /> but dont even think of periodic dip sticking the tank to check the levels in a boat, the fume will blow you away.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

expansion on the previous thought, <br /> take a ground wire from the batter ground and touch it to the sender wire at the tank, guage come alive? yes, ground the tank, or ground side of sender, no reading fix the ground to the tank or replace the sender

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

yea seaworhthy tells a tale about a boater dip sticking his tank thru a sight hole while cruising to the bahamas. blew up the boat.

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Install a fuel flow meter.<br />Much more accurate than a fuel gauge IMO.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Evinfla<br />Have you checked under the fuel tank inspection plate. I think you will find a mechanical guage as well as the electrical guage hook up. I am pretty sure the mechanical guage is a coast guard requirment. I know every boat I have seen the coast guard tow in that they check the mechanical guage and if it is on E you get a ticket and a fine.<br /><br />Anyway look under your inspection plate and while you are there check your electral guage wires are clean and tight. If both guages are failing then you likely need a new guage kit, or need to find out what is stopping the floats from working.