fuel leaking

molch

Cadet
hi everyone.<br /><br />I have a 1980 115 v4 johnson. <br /><br />When sitting in the water after running you can see fuel/oil drifitng around the motor on top of the water. I then cleaned inside the engine cover and it became dirty with fuel/oil again.<br /><br />I haven't owned it long and its happened since purchase. I found a crack in a hose that runs from the air silencer to the manifold. could this be the cause. Should i put a carby kit through both carbies anyway as i have no idea when they were last serviced or there condition.<br /><br />CHeers<br /><br />Ethan from aus.

Capt-George

Cadet
Re: fuel leaking

Do your carbs have plastic bowls? If so check for hairline cracks near the main jet cover screws. If so, I suggest changing to the metal replacement bowls Johnson now recommends.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Replace the hose is step one.It's purpose is to drain excess fuel,oil,vapors etc back to the engine.Yes it will cause the slick you are seeing.<br /><br />You can also squeeze the primer bulb and look at the hoses,fittings and carbs for other leaks.<br /><br />DHP

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Any outboard engine will dump unburned fuel, and oil in the water, where else can it go with an underwater exhaust. The family car would do the same thing, you just can't see it.

molch

Cadet

A few more things i forgot to mention.<br /><br />When starting whether warm or cold it is hard and i need to put the choke on a fair bit. otherwise it kicks over, fires and then stalls straight away. <br /><br />Then there is alot of smoke on startup aswell. whether it is warm or cold doesn't matter either.<br /><br />DOes the new float come in a carby rebuild kit? I have found the part number but i cant tell what it contains.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Are you running a 50:1 Mix? Possible sticking float or needle..<br /><br />These kits come with the float.<br /><br /> web page <br /><br /><br /> web page 2

molch

Cadet

yeah mix 50:1 pretty much spot on. I use a measuring jug to measure my oil in the premix instead of pouring in and using the bottle measurments.<br /><br />after a run idle is fine / trolling is fine etc. it is only once the motor is shut off (for a minute or more ) it runs really rich/smokey on startup.