fuel gauge issues

Fed

Commander
Take the Sender wire off the gauge, key in run position the gauge should read empty.
Short a wire from the Sender terminal on the gauge to ground, key in run position the gauge should read full.
You will need 3" of wire & 3 seconds to test it.
You could repeat the same test at the sender just to be sure there are no wiring problems.
IF the sender is faulty then you will need to identify the gauge and/or sender to know which sender to buy.

Fed

Commander
I just checked the Euro system and not only do they use different resistances they also operate in a reverse fashion.
Don't be surprised if the above tests give opposite reading from the expected but it will tell you if you have a Euro or American system installed so there is an upside.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Check the resistance of the sender. If it is not 30 - 240 ohms as you raise and lower the float arm you have a Euro sender.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Check the resistance of the sender. If it is not 30 - 240 ohms as you raise and lower the float arm you have a Euro sender. You can also test the sender-to-gauge and the gauge itself by simply grounding the sender wire (usually pink) at the tank. If the gauge pegs to Full, the wire and gauge are ok. For the system to work, the metal shell of the sending unit must be grounded.

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys for all the great info. I learned a lot. I am also glad that it now fixed with no cash laid out. Turns out it was a bad ground. I replace the wire and it works. Thanks again