fuel consumption

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I read a post a few months back that a 4 blade prop will consume more fuel. I have an '05 4.3 Mercruiser with carb and plan to go to a Comprop.I have used them for years and like the hole shot and on plane speed.I would still cruise in the 3K to 4K RPM range and top speed is already more than my family likes.Incidentally I have never broken a Comprop.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel consumption

My personal estimation is that a 4 blade vs. a 3 blade comp prop will consume .0385 gallons per hour more . . . ;) <br /><br />I look at these things like how much $ per weekend . . . So my other estimate is a weekend budget increase of $0.75 if you run as much as I do, $0.35 if you run your boat like most . . .<br /><br />Edited for clarity: the above is, of course, sarcasm. My point is that this type of fuel economy question is measured in dollars per weekend and that I believe ultimately the difference between two like props, 4 vs. 3 blade, will result in a super small difference no matter how you slice it, so go with what you want as long as the WOT range is met.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel consumption

Its really hard to make a blanket statement like that. Most times when you hear someone say that, it turns out they are talking about a certian prop on a certian boat. Its hard to believe that someone has tried every 4 blade prop on every boat/motor combo.<br /><br />There are props made specifically for stern drives. 4 blade props included. I would say that if they have been working well for you on your rig, then go for it!