Fuel consumption at trawler speed.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Good point Silvertip,... in my old age ive become an information junkie,... having a good feel for your particular boat is key,... the sounds, the vibrations,.. a good sense of what is normal and what could be a potential problem. Been around boats long enough to be very aware of these things, and the more tools and instruments we can have to monitor all systems is that much better.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
With the system I have, my flow meter is connected to my GPS unit so it actually does the calculation based on flow and speed and also calculates your MPG. No calculations in your head.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
I agree with the others that say to get a fuel flow meter. I like my Lowrance LMF-200. It replaced my fuel gauge (and works as a super-accurate fuel gauge) and it can display fuel flow/calculate MPG for both engines at the same time. You can also add all kinds of other sensors to it for water temp, air temp, engine temp, oil pressure, speed, engine RPM sync, depth, etc.

I'd bet you should be running closer to idle or 30 MPH for best MPG. 1800 RPM should give you horrible MPG.

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fuel consumption always fun topic . YHEA , Love that 1 gallon a mile fuel burn and fill ups @ $4.00 a gallon
​Retirement offers time too spend on the boat . I use my boat 2-3 days of every week here in SUNNY FLORIDA
​I purchased a 31 ft Regal Commodore year 2005 . Luxury galore .
​Have a trailer but towing is too much boat and would never use at often .
Leave at marina .
Marina has become away of life and ​quickly discovered I should have never shopped for a boat the way I did .
​Should have had a manufacturer or model in mind rather then looks especially cabin appointments .
​After two years of owing a weekender , A BIG MISTAKE . Limited space . ​General repairs impossible .

​TRADE OFF . Gas verses Diesel . most use their boats once a month . or in cold climates few months a year
Folks like us retired use a boat all the time .
​I never go fast . I just have the need too be on the water. My cruise speed is usually 12 knots .
Many at my marina stay tied up cause of fuel burn . Use boat as condo
​I take mine out every time, but stay close too shore .
​No reason too open up, suck that fuel, get beaten up , stuff falling in cabin

​Load the dogs, wife & myself get away a month. Popular voyage is Keys , about 450 miles each way
@ 1 gallon a mile, $ 4.00 a gallon . A TRILLION DOLLARS
WHAT BOAT IS NEXT ??
​Cant afford new, don't have the energy too purchase a used boat and start that fix on everything all over when mine is now perfect with new ​rebuilds of both engines . Which might force me too just enjoy what I have
​But if I start searching what boat . ?
I don't want a gas guzzler .
Trawler is an option
​Considered a sail , I have sailed but not sure , most folks my age 70 are getting out of sailing into a trawler
​But the journey, adventure is the fun, no rush, no fuel burn that beaks the bank
OVER & OUT