Fuel connector compatibility issues.

SlowSL

Cadet
So I have a fuel tank and fuel line/bulb that has been used since about 2004 when we purchased a new Mercury. I've had a newer scepter fuel tank sitting in the garage for some time now, and decided to start using it. The quick connector will not fit properly. I tried drilling the receiver hole out slightly in the fitting and that allowed it to slide on and the clip locks into the groove, but it doesn't seem to go in far enough for the seal to properly slide over the valve outlet, and fuel is leaking out. If I try and jam it in while holding the clip to make it go farther, it just doesn't go. Am I missing something? Are there different styles/sizes that are slightly different? I measured the fitting on the tank, the latch post is .279", the fuel post is .360"

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I bought a new gas tank a couple of years ago and it had a funny connector on it. Since I was in WW, in the Sporting Goods Dept., I went over to the marine nick-nack rack and lo and behold was a mating connector and the fuel line tube was sized for 5/16" adequate for I engines or 3/8 for V engines.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Mercury has 2 different connectors that look very similar.
You need to find out which one you're uses. The serial # of the motor will tell you which one you need.

SlowSL

Cadet
Mercury has 2 different connectors that look very similar.
You need to find out which one you're uses. The serial # of the motor will tell you which one you need.
Thanks,
Once I take note of the serial number, how would I look up which one I need?

SlowSL

Cadet
An update to my issue for anyone in a similar situation. I noticed that my local Walmart had two different styles of female connectors. I purchased two of each. The ones labeled only "Mercury", fit the newer tank with the slightly larger diameter post, the ones that said "Mercury Mariner Yamaha" fit the older tanks.