Fuel and Oil Filter Volvo AQ130D / 280

Old & In the way

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi
Bought a 1977 Glastron T179 with a volvo 130hp and 280 OD
Tri-hull . Added Optima Batterty - now runs but will not idle.
I intend to drain the gas - Sears;s pump on order. I have tried 3 different attempts to pump to siphon / extract the gas, from the fuel fill without success. I know about E-10 problems in outboards..

The oil looks good on the dip, in need of change. The oil filter is a Ph7328 mounted horizontal - makes we wonder if a oil water seperator would matter.. ?

Should i replace the old glass bowl fuel filter with a newer fuel micron ffilter.

Any other thoughts will be appreaciated.
Thanks.

Ed

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel and Oil Filter Volvo AQ130D / 280

Should i replace the old glass bowl fuel filter with a newer fuel micron ffilter.

Leave that filter, but add a fuel filter water seperator kit between the tank and the fuel pump. Your engine will thank you.

The oil filter is a Ph7328 mounted horizontal - makes we wonder if a oil water seperator would matter.. ?

No such animal. They are all oil filters only.

with a volvo 130hp and 280 OD ..... now runs but will not idle.

A full tuneup, including a compression check will let you know how your new to you engine really works, and you will be sure to have a summer with few problems.
Since it is new, I would also suggest changing the gear lube and proabably a new ujoint bellows to prevent an engine pull to repair the problems of a bellows full of water. Wouldn't hurt to replace the raw water pump impeller either.
You still may need a carb rebuild if water is in the carb.

Old & In the way

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Don.

I purchased a VP Stern Drive Seloc 1968-91 Repair manual. I doesn;t seem to say much about the AQ130D or specs. for parts and plugs etc.

Is there a better source of information ?

Is the AQ130D a good one ?

Not your OHC model... is that good ?

Thanks.
Ed

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I purchased a VP Stern Drive Seloc 1968-91 Repair manual.

Good, you will need knee pads before you are done.

Below are links to the OEM service manuals Engine and drive.

Engine http://www.4shared.com/file/59747156/6c065c44/AQ130_thru_170_Serv_Man.html

Drive http://www.4shared.com/file/48536730/fa3b3311/280_to_DP-C_Drive_manual.html

The 130's are good running engines, and you can't beat a 280. Had a 280 outdrive on my 27' Bayliner with a 350.

Old & In the way

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Old & In the way

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Help

I have searched the Internet without success.

I am trying to find a fuel water seperator with mount for my Volvo Penta
AQ130D 130HP 4 cylinder gas engine, hopefull 10 micron.

I found on from Malloy for volvo then in big print it said for outboards only.
Racor and Siera options did not clearly state for Volvo Penta I/O either.

From other threads, I have seen that glass bowl bottoms are not for I/O use.

Any finally if and when I get one, should it be mounted between the existing volvo fuel filter (glass bowl) and the fuel pump on the engine ?

Does the existing volvo fuel filter - contain a paper filter that E-10 can damage and get to the carbs ?

Thanks much..

Ed