Front windshield replacement suggestions

Working on this 1976 22' Chieftain and need to replace the front cabin window as the original is all crazed and I would not want to take a wave over the bow with that thing as it is now. What have you guys done? Are most glass shops able to make a replacement out of lexan or some type of poly/acrylic and put the bend in it?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Front windshield replacement suggestions

Are most glass shops able to make a replacement out of lexan or some type of poly/acrylic and put the bend in it?

Yah, most glass shops worth their salt anyway. And, for a cost ($$$).

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

My local shop was able to cut a piece of plexi using the old one as a template, but they wouldn't bend it. I used a heat gun to bend it...and crack it...because I wasn't taking my time with it. I was able to drill out the crack and use it, but if you're slow and careful it's pretty easy to bend plexi over a straight solid edge. I think they charged me about $100 for the piece for my 18' Chief.

jrs151

Seaman

I have a bit of lose-change in my pocket on this subject ....

Be wary of the long-term weather-ability of either Plexi or Lexan type materials - UV being your enemy. Acrylic being a little less susceptible to UV than polycarbonate, yet both can be manufactured with a protective UV film on one side at extra $$.

As far as (acrylic) bending, it should not crack done right, & using the higher quality of acrylics. There are many formulas in quality and characteristics - price will dictate, let your supplier know your intended use and recommend the right product.

Using a heat-gun is super-risky - too easy to overheat/crazy/burn & heat too large an area. Rather talk to your supplier about a strip-heater for better isolation and temp control.
Polycarbonate being so heat resilient is near impossible to incorporate any type of permanent form. Instead, many just install the straight sheet and compression-bend (fit) it into place as long as the bends are not aggressive.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

^^^listen to this guy. The strip heater sounds like a great suggestion for acrylic. Nothing like cracking a $100 piece of plastic.

Last edited:

Thanks for the helpful insight. Sounds like quality acrylic from a pro shop or forget looking out the front and replace with aluminum.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

check around for a plastics manufacturing shop near by. they have all the strip heaters, jigs, and presses.

I found one 3 blocks from work, and they actually advertize as replacing boat hatches and windows. Cost me $80 to have the cabin hatch replaced. I also wanted the formed lip a little longer because the latch hardware was really close to the edge. no problem there. They simply needed my old one or a really good sketch.