• Gel Coat

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Friscoboater

Captain
Well... I guess I just cant stay away from boat restorations at all. A few weeks ago I found a 1985 Chris Craft scorpion 23ft on blocks that had been sitting for over 15 years. It got my gears going big time, and I just could not resist throwing out an offer. It needed a re-power, and major paint help... not to mention interior. Now if that was not enough... it did not have a trailer either. Well they accepted my very low offer, and I went back to do a final check up, and make sure I wanted to jump down that rabbit hole. After spending about a hour going over the boat, I found that it would need most of the rear wood replaced to make her sound again, and started to lose interest. After I had found that issue, the owner stated that they lost the title, and I would have to do all the leg work to get a replacement. Deal breaker!

Soooo... where did that leave me? I wanted to do a project, but a little smaller boat that I could put on a cradle in my garage and work in comfort. I popped onto craigslist and took a quick look, and right there at the top of the page was a really awesome looking 1986 Carlson CVX-18... for a really AWESOME price. I called the guy set a time to meet, scooped up Dad and drove over an hour outside of town to look at this boat. When I pulled up I knew it was going to be mine. I just clicked... those sleek gorgeous lines, and that awesome paint scheme.. I was hoooked. We got to talking to the guy who owned it, and got the whole story, and found out it was running, but had a problem 8 years ago, and they just never fixed it. So there it sat. It needs everything... upholstery, deck, stringers, transom, compound and buffing, engine, the works... BUT... it was complete and un-moletsted. At that point I just did not care, I HAD to have this boat. I shot a number out and we shook hands on the deal... so I thought. Guess what... title problems. They were waiting on the replacement from Austin, and it just had not arrived yet. Greeeaaaaat!!!! I was just about to walk away, but then he pulled out the receipt from the TPWD that showed that they had indeed filed for a title replacement, and it should be there any day. At that point I decided to go ahead with the deal, but come back when the title came in. Yes it meant another long trip, but I wanted to make sure. It took all I had to drive away that day, but I knew it was for the best. I was the longest week ever waiting for his call, but a few days later he called me up and informed me that the title was there. Whooohoooo!!! So Dad and I loaded up today and headed out to pick her up.

The trip was uneventful, and the boat is now at home ready for her makeover. So sit back and follow along to see Dad and I restore this boat to her former glory. Now one thing I will be doing different is after the restoration is done, I will be putting it up for auction/sale for someone to own her. I have no room for another boat, but I love restoring them. So anyway that is the plan.

Pictures and video

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

file-3.jpg

file-4.jpg

file-7.jpg

Last edited:

Trooper82

Commander
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

NIce find..should be interesting....

jbcurt00

Staff member

Excellent!

Tagging along..

BTW: Is that a Lonestar finned tinny in that ugly green 2-tone?

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

I cant wait!! You should have no problem selling once this is done when you take into consideration your reputation for doing it right. In a few months someone is going to own a better than new boat. If I was in the market for that style of boat.....let the bidding begin. lol

Oh, and engine bay pics now!

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Awesome find Jay!

Though...I think you should really consider bringing the boat & the family up to the MN meet in August! We already have members from Texas that come, and the more the merrier!

There are a few other CVX-18's that your's needs to meet!

P8180017.JPG

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

She looks fast sittin' on the trailer. This should be fun. This will be a good thread to follow. Nice find, frisco. :D

I'm waiting for you to re-do a tinny. Lots of them are the right size to fit in the garage.

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nice, man now i wont be able to sleep on time, i'll be to busy reading and watching the vids.

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks guys. I am really looking forward to doing this over the winter. I should be able to get it done before the summer sean.

Dorelse- I hope to have this thing done and in her new home by then :)

JB- good catch. I just fixed it.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Jay, this is awesome man! i cannot wait to see your introduction video! show us everything please!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

I was hoping it'd prompt you into fessing up about the power plan for the CVX ;)

230 or 260hp originally/currently?

A 260hp in that low sleek 18ft'r must FLY!

firemedic29

Recruit

Awesome can't wait to see the Journey.

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great find! Brings back some memories of many summers on the water in our '85 CVX 17 with Merc 115 hung on the back. That thing was used and abused, especially towing my fat butt around the rivers and lakes, until finally sold in 2002 when the transom needed replacing.

Whoever gets that boat after the rebuild will have a blast. Fast, great handling, and blazes across rough water.

~RNP

parrisw

Ensign

Sweet, I'm along for the ride!!

mbible

Seaman Apprentice

Nice, Jay! This boat is going to fill up fast... I'm tagging along too.

Love the centerline trailer wheels too... just sayin.:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well... I guess I just cant stay away from boat restorations at all.

It needs everything... upholstery, deck, stringers, transom, compound and buffing, engine, the works...

You are a very sick man:facepalm:

Have you seen your family Doc? He may have a cream/ointment or something you use to help your problem Jay:D

:p

(Enjoy the new project my glitter boat bud:))

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'll be tagging along as well Jay. Cool project!

I notices a certain jasoutside has posted to your thread. Just a fair warning!!! Jas has a fiberglass protection order against him. If he shows up in a white work van with grinders and sawzalls the authorities must be contacted.

He cannot be with in 500 feet of a fiberglass boat with tools. His M.O. is to make contact and act as though he wants to help. The next thing you know your hull is at the dump getting run over by the bulldozer!!! Just sayin Be on the lookout!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Cool boat man. What about a 502 and a bravo 3. Tagging along to see your progress you go bud.

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another lesson...looking forward to it.