Freshwater (pressurized) pump stopped working

Radarcontact

Cadet
Hi guys, brand new member of the forum. Mechanically inclined and competent, but relatively ignorant to boat systems and troubleshooting.

Problem:
The last time I used my boat, last month, the head wouldn't get water. After checking, nothing was getting water. Pump appears inoperative.

What I tried:
All I had time to do (it's at a marina 30 miles away) was to check the fuse under the "dashboard" (insert correct nautical term here!). It seemed ok by sight.

What should I look for tomorrow when I go down there to take her out for the day?

It's a 2001 Wellcraft "2600 Martinique" cabin cruiser.

62aae0f4-b88f-2661.jpg

Thank you!

Cap’n Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check the fuse with a meter on either side of the holder(test leads on the holder contacts NOT the fuse itself). My 27' Bayliner cabin had the same problem... Fuse was good, pulled it and checked it several times only to discover that corrosion inside the fuse holder was preventing contact. Best of luck to ya!!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Freshwater (pressurized) pump stopped working

Let's make sure we understand that boat's plumbing.

What type of head (toilet) is on the bioat? Is it electric? If it is, I'm almost positive it has its own 12V pump separate from the domestic water supply pump. Is it a raw water or fresh water flush type? If it's raw water (most common- the flush water comes from whatever the boat is floating in), then chances are your seacock is closed or the sea strainer is clogged.

Make sure you know what type you have and, if it's raw water, where the seacock is located- a broken seacock or hose WILL sink your boat.

Nice boat, btw :)

Radarcontact

Cadet
Check the fuse with a meter on either side of the holder(test leads on the holder contacts NOT the fuse itself). My 27' Bayliner cabin had the same problem... Fuse was good, pulled it and checked it several times only to discover that corrosion inside the fuse holder was preventing contact. Best of luck to ya!!

Good call, I'll definitely check that! Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

45Auto

Commander

First thing to do is to pull the leads at the pump and verify that power is getting to the pump

If it is, then you have a bad pump.

If it's not, then check the switch and fuse for power.

Radarcontact

Cadet
Let's make sure we understand that boat's plumbing.

What type of head (toilet) is on the bioat? Is it electric? If it is, I'm almost positive it has its own 12V pump separate from the domestic water supply pump. Is it a raw water or fresh water flush type? If it's raw water (most common- the flush water comes from whatever the boat is floating in), then chances are your seacock is closed or the sea strainer is clogged.

Make sure you know what type you have and, if it's raw water, where the seacock is located- a broken seacock or hose WILL sink your boat.

Nice boat, btw :)

Electric? Don't think so. I have an (up/middle/down) switch in the bathroom:
HEAD
(OFF)
SUMP

HEAD is for toilet, SUMP is for pulling the water out of the shower bottom. When you put it on HEAD, it pressurizes ("whirrrrrr...") then it stops. You can now use the inside shower, outside shower, kitchen sink, or flush the toilet.
Runs off a tank inside the boat that holds about ~50 gals, and a hot water heater that holds ~35 gals, I think.

Oh, and thanks! We love it! :wink:

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Start at the beginning.
Water in the tank?
Check the fuse/breaker panel to assure the breaker isn't off or tripped.
12v test light to breaker/fuse on incoming & outgoing side
With the head switch in the 'on' position, check for power (and ground) to the pump motor
If no power, trace back the wiring until you find the break in the circuit. If there is power, tap the pump with a screwdriver or small mallet to see if it's just seized up. If that doesn't elicit a response, the pump may need replacing.

Don't forget to check the power and ground to the pressure switch for the head, which tells the pump when to run and when to shut off. Might just be a bad switch. Also check the continuity to the head/sump switch. They all play a part in it's operation.

Radarcontact

Cadet
We DID have water in the tank, but when we got to the boat yesterday we found that all of our fuel had been siphoned out! 85 gallon tank, was full, now empty! So maybe they stole my water too! Lol

Seriously, I didn't mess with it much except I found out that the pump runs, and "charges up" the line but the water doesn't flow. (Thinking) impeller?

Radarcontact

Cadet
Well, let me clarify...it runs (I hear it pulsing), then after a little while (10 seconds maybe), it stops running. So I don't know if the line is pressurized.
Going back out there today, will double check the water level, even though I know for sure that the hot water tank is full and the cold supply side was full last time we went out.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If you hear the pump running, then shuts off, one of two things are happening. Either the pump is pressurizing the system (more than likely) or the pump is tripping off. I doubt that it's tripping off, unless it is going bad electrically. I left my water tank too low one day and the pump ran for approximately 20 hours. When I put water in the tank, it stopped and never had an issue since. They're designed for low pressures and don't often go bad, although they can. Anyway...I digress.

If the pump is stopping, more than likely it's pressurizing the system. See if there is a valve for water flow to the tank and make sure it's open. Then check the operation of the valve that let's water flow into the toilet itself. When you hear the pump operating, see if water flows through the faucet or transom shower. If it's a fresh water toilet, they all share the same pump.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You have a filter in line that is clogged ..

Normally its right out of the tank. Small little filter that is re-usable .. turn off your FWP and relieve the pressure in the sink. .. then unscrew/unlock the filter canister and clean it out.

This is my best bet.

YD.

Radarcontact

Cadet
Ok, I'll do that, cause regardless, I'm sure that needs to be done.
Here's what happened today. I went to the boat, did a few things. Just for the hell of it, I turned it to HEAD. Turned on the bathroom faucet. Full flow...for about 3 seconds, then down to a dribble, then it stopped altogether again. Turn it off and went to kitchen sink, nothing but air. Am I wrong to think that it is maybe an impeller problem?

Diff subject...how often should the fuel filter/water separator canister be changed?