FREEING UP A SIEZED ENGINE 1964 60HP SPORTFOUR

WillsPride

Seaman Apprentice
Today I picked up this circa 1964 60HP SportFour that is obviously seized. What's the kindest way to free it up and see if it has any compression?

Cheers Will.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Best? Tear it apart. ALWAYS the best option.

Easiest? Any number of elixirs poured, sprayed, dribbled inside. None will repair any damage to bearing surfaces.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That sure is a crusty looking critter. Was it submerged? If so, you can bet the farm that the bearings are shot throughout.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I agree with the above posts. That motor appears to have been underwater a while from the pics.

Only way to get it free is to pull it apart, inspect everything, and go from there. No amount of soaking or praying will help

WillsPride

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Guys. The engine was removed from the boat twenty years ago to 'have some work done on it' by the original owner, who passed away suddenly before completing whatever it was he was doing. It was still hanging from the floor joists under the house in the chap's home workshop on a block and tackle when I collected it. I bought the engine from deceased owners' son, he remembers being on the boat this engine was fitted to many times-and had never been under water.

The owners home is about 75 metres from the ocean here in New South Wales south coast, and salt laden air over two decades has taken its toll :-(

I'll take it apart and see what's inside. I doubt I can do any more harm! Cheers Will.