free demo fishing tackle.

jocko_nc

Seaman
Now that I have everyone's attention...... LOL!<br /><br />Ok guys... I know I am lining up for a ration of crap by asking for recommendations on a particular make of boat. Yet here we go.<br /><br />I do not have $20 K to $30 K to play with for a boat. Actually I do, but that wouldn't be prudent spending. $ 10 K is my neighborhood.<br /><br />I recognize that the high end makes offer higher quality. However, I do think the returns on incremental money spent diminish. My father-in-law runs a Hatteras and I understand the difference.<br /><br />I live inland, so this is a trailer boat.<br /><br />Boat will be used for fishing, camping, and family outdoor fun. Lake, river, and ocean use, not particilarly far offshore.<br /><br />I have two young kids such that hard core offshore use is not in the works... at least not planned.<br /><br />That being said, I have a line on:<br /><br />1996 Angler 220<br />T-top<br />200 Mariner<br />hydraulic tabs<br />swim platforms<br />pressure water<br />bow cushions<br />bow canvas<br />dual trailer<br /><br />$11,500 no bottom paint<br /><br />I have read everything I can find over the past months and come to the conclusion that this boat is just about perfect for me. I search the other makes and don't see anything in this league. (Not the least reason of which being that people who can afford to buy a Grady White generally don't miss payments!) I am not interested in Bayliner or the Legacy stuff you see everywhere. I appreciate all of your input, clearly some of you are a huge wealth of knowledge and experience. Am I way off base?<br /><br />In my price range, I am inclined to buy a newer mid-range boat that an old high end boat. Frankly, I think that some brands have a cult following that results in unrealistic resale values. Some of those Whalers, GW, Sea Crafts, and Makos out there have got to be beat to hell. How long can a transom last? $12 K seems too much for a 25 year old saltwater boat. I have experienced the same mindset with autos and tractors, to my chagrin with the latter. A Honda Accord with 150K miles is still a way-used car yet look at the resale.<br /><br />I hope to buy well and be in a position to upgrade, etc. and get my money out of the boat. I would like it to be easy to sell. Yes, eventually I will be out there with fat offshore machine, but not right now.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

wyattm

Seaman Apprentice
Re: free demo fishing tackle.

In my opinion it sounds like a good deal for you, I would have a compression test done on the engine, have the lower unit checked. Replace plugs, thermostats and water pump and you should be good to go. Have fun.