Free boat from craigslist

89 sinbird

Cadet
Hello all,

I just got an 89 sunbird for free on craigslist.. it is in great condition.. the interior is still nice and all...

But the bad is it needs a new motor...

My first question is. How can I tell what motor it has? is it the 4.3?
It has the cobra omc outdrive..

Now the next question is is it worth just putting a used motor in it? or what is my best option. And how is the outdrive connected to the motor? does it have a torque converter?

All of your help is appreciated and I hope to stay on this forum for a long time to come.. This is my first real boat and im very excited!!

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Free boat from craigslist

If its a V6, then likely it is a 4.3. There is usually some sort of plate on the engine to tell you. Mine was above the starter on my 5.7. Mine is also stamped as a 5.7 just behind the heads and in front of the bellhousing.

There really isnt a torque converter. You have to remove the out drive to pull the engine, and it all has to be re-aligned when you are done though. I would suggest picking up a manual and reading it through before you try the swap. I have read mine cover to cover, and am still relying on an experianced boat mechanic to give me a hand.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

welcome to iboats!!
nothing is better than a free boat from craigslist! leaves plenty of room in the budget for upgrades!
about the motor- i would say go with used because it will prob be hard to get your money back on a new one (if you plan on selling it) its really whatever your pocket lets you spend.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

i'd take it somewhere to get looked... frankly, I had to get a new 3.0 for my searay and I was able to get a new long block installed with all of my accesories for about 3500...here in boston..

if you know that engine is dead then i would do something similar or..find out whats wrong at least..you may be surorised to find it could be repairable..

get digging into some numbers on the engine and then do your research..worst case..it cost you nothing so far so you are ahead of the game

good luck

89 sinbird

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys..
so far i have found 2 options.. a long block for 1250 or a complete motor for 2000

I can handle putting the long block together but i am also leaning towards the complete motor so i have less hidden surprises.

now you guys scare me when you say i need to remove the out drive and re align it when installing..

Does removing the out drive mean breaking some sort of seal to the hull to keep water from flooding in? And what does re aligning mean exactly. Thanks Again..

If you guys are interested in pics i can post them.. let me know..

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

your engine has a shaft that runs out to the outdrive (forget proper terminology) but that has an angle that has to be precise in line with the outdrive.. usually if its just a long block then it shouldnt change anything on the angle of the drive shaft but once you pull it or a mechanic pulls it out to do all the work it then goes back in and needs to be realigned so all is perfect.

so the outdrive does come off as well as the engine itself..

its not a big deal per say but i leave that stuff to experts..

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You may want to do the bellows and maybe the gimbal bearing. Its 20 years old and you have no idea when they were done last. You will have the outdrive out anyway, so may as well. Yes there is a gasket or 2 that needs to be replaced due to the removal. The whole kit is like $120. Well worth it if you dont know when it was last replaced.

You can find used engines pretty readily. 4.3l engines are pretty plentiful.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!

Please have the outdrive checked by a mechanic that knows the OMC (which is no longer made and obsolete) outdrive before you invest any money.

There is no such thing as a free boat ;) It could nickel and dime you into poverty with lot's of frustration!

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the info guys..
so far i have found 2 options.. a long block for 1250 or a complete motor for 2000

I can handle putting the long block together but i am also leaning towards the complete motor so i have less hidden surprises.

now you guys scare me when you say i need to remove the out drive and re align it when installing..

Does removing the out drive mean breaking some sort of seal to the hull to keep water from flooding in? And what does re aligning mean exactly. Thanks Again..

If you guys are interested in pics i can post them.. let me know..

If the complete motor is used, go with the long block there will be less suprises, you could very well spend 2k on a used motor that has its own issues. A long block rebuild allows you to see and fix any issues and thus gives you a peice of mind knowing you where able to inspect, clean and install everthing to spec.

To remove and re-install the drive yes there is a couple of gaskets and they are less then 20 bucks, but as said before you might as well get the hole bellows kit since the drive is off and its good to replace them.

Alligning the engine is very simple just time intensive, once the new engin is installed you need to use an alignment toll, witch is just a machined peice of steel that has several differant diamiters that you slide through the gimble bearing into the engine coupler to make sure there is no binding. The drive shaft when installed goes through the gimble and into the engine and if it isnt centered, it will screw the coupler, drive shaft or u-joint.

You adjust the alignment by adjusting the motor mounts up or down using the bolts that sapport the engine. The trick is to get the alignment tool to slide into the engine with hardly any force needed, there are some tricks to it but more info can be given when you get to that point.

Also as said before get the manual, it will have a engine removal and install section that will shed more light on the issues. You will need to buy a few special tools, but some can be improvised, i do stress that the elignment tool isnt one that can be improveised, you can find them on line from $30-$100 depends on maker and the store selling them. I got mine from Amizone for $38.

I may have missed it but, have you figured out what engine you have yet? Once that is known you can get more direct help from someone on hear that has delt with that engine.

foodfisher

Captain

You can bet the PO didn't want to give the boat away. Repairs can be more than buying a runnig boat.

Bondo

Staff member

There is no such thing as a free boat It could nickel and dime you into poverty with lot's of frustration!

Ayuh,.... And being an Old Sunbird,... I'm Bettin' the stringers,+ Transom are totally Rotten...

89 sinbird

Cadet

Wow you guys got me kind of scared no lol. Thanks for all of the info..

where should i look to see if the stringers and transom are rotted, and if they are not what is the most i should spend on this boat before i would be losing.

I will post some pics of the boat it is in good condition.

Thanks again for all your help.

89 sinbird

Cadet

Here are some pics of the boat. Does it look worth the fix?

b2.jpg

b1.jpg

b3.jpg

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

thats the nicest Free boat I have ever seen... but looks can be deceiving....boats in that condition, free? ask him what the catch is, he'll probably not have the title or anything im sure.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow you guys got me kind of scared no lol. Thanks for all of the info..

where should i look to see if the stringers and transom are rotted, and if they are not what is the most i should spend on this boat before i would be losing.

I will post some pics of the boat it is in good condition.

Thanks again for all your help.

Take a small drill bit and drill a small hole in the transom and stringers. Dont go all the way through only about half way in. You will be able to tell by the color of the dust. You be able to get access to the stringers in the engine compartment. Check multiple spots. When you check the transom check close to the mounting plate for the engine.

The darker the dust the worse the issue.

As far as the amount of money to spend that is up to you. I would say over 4k would be a wast because at that price you could buy a running boat in pretty good condition.

The boat looks well taken care of and if it was stored right and kept dry you should have good stringers and transom, and if that the case and all you need is the motor I would say its a good investment. If you have to do a full stringer and transom job I would look for some thing else. Worse case you got it for free and you can part it out and probly make $1000.

89 sinbird

Cadet

Sounds good i will drill the holes later today when i get home and post the findings. Thanks again for all the help..

The boat is in great shape the guy seemed to know what he was doing and seem like a real honest guy.

89 sinbird

Cadet

thats the nicest Free boat I have ever seen... but looks can be deceiving....boats in that condition, free? ask him what the catch is, he'll probably not have the title or anything im sure.

no i have the title already. He seems really honest. It had a cracked head and im sure he didnt feel like putting the money into it. Maybe he had a cool wife and she let him get a new boat lol.

Drewb082001

Seaman Apprentice

Holy Canoli batman! That is the nicest free boat i have ever seen, even if it has a cracked head. Im surprised you got that for free. thats almost unbelievable that you got that for free. he could have sold that hull alone for alot more with the condition that boat is in. Awesome find. Congrads on that. totally worth the fix, or even just the part out. Lucky you.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sinbird- you have a pm considering OMC parts

zach103

Commander

Dude fix that thing up.. thats nicer than some boats people pay 2k for. the cracked head shouldnt be too big of a deal. its better than a cracked block..