Four Winns 1990 Freedom 19 restoration question

kimberlydenn

Cadet
Hello-
Can anyone please tell me how to remove the side panels on the Freedom 190? They are upholstered and I need to fix them but I cannot figure out how to remove them. Any help would be appreciated, thank you. P.S. Are they individual blocks or are they one unit?

Thank you!

Trooper82

Commander
Re: Four Winns 1990 Freedom 19 restoration question

Can you post a picture?

And welcome to Iboats...

kimberlydenn

Cadet

Thank you so much! boat walls.jpg

I borrowed the picture from another poster. It's the red upholstery. I'm new to this so if it doesn't post I will try again.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kimberly:

That's my boat you have a pic of. On my Freedom 195, there is bracket underneath the helm that holds the front section on. Then, in the stern there is one more bracket inside the gunnel and two screws on the outside/accessible- -they have nuts on them and I had to saw one off it was so rusted. Let me know if you need more help.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you so much! View attachment 201046

I borrowed the picture from another poster. It's the red upholstery. I'm new to this so if it doesn't post I will try again.

I may have misunderstood. Are you referring to the 2 red and gray vinyl strips in the pic? I just restored those last year.

kimberlydenn

Cadet

I may have misunderstood. Are you referring to the 2 red and gray vinyl strips in the pic? I just restored those last year.

I hope it's o.k that I used your picture. It was the perfect shot and I didn't have any pictures. I am referring to the red and grey and the straight red one. I really have no idea what I'm doing but my dad,me and my 15 year old son are trying to combine the best of two boats. Any advice would be really welcome. Thank you!

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope it's o.k that I used your picture. It was the perfect shot and I didn't have any pictures. I am referring to the red and grey and the straight red one. I really have no idea what I'm doing but my dad,me and my 15 year old son are trying to combine the best of two boats. Any advice would be really welcome. Thank you!

I'll assume you're just trying to uninstall these two pieces to rebuild or replace. The upper piece has Philips head wood screws between each of the vinyl panels. Put your hand up inside the gunnel to feel their location. A medium or big Philips head screw driver, or a drill with a Philips bit on it, will get them out.

The smaller lower panel has 6 long thin bolts with nuts on the back side. Stick your head up into the gunnel, again, and you'll see them. The heads of the bolts are covered/unaccessible by the vinyl. You'll need to back off the nuts and some may strip and spin in the wood if it's rotted. If you're going to replace the whole (wood and vinyl) like I did you can just cut the nut off with a hack saw and pull the whole piece out. Hope that helps.

No problem on using my pic.

kimberlydenn

Cadet

I'll assume you're just trying to uninstall these two pieces to rebuild or replace. The upper piece has Philips head wood screws between each of the vinyl panels. Put your hand up inside the gunnel to feel their location. A medium or big Philips head screw driver, or a drill with a Philips bit on it, will get them out.

The smaller lower panel has 6 long thin bolts with nuts on the back side. Stick your head up into the gunnel, again, and you'll see them. The heads of the bolts are covered/unaccessible by the vinyl. You'll need to back off the nuts and some may strip and spin in the wood if it's rotted. If you're going to replace the whole (wood and vinyl) like I did you can just cut the nut off with a hack saw and pull the whole piece out. Hope that helps.

No problem on using my pic.

I really appreciate the info. We are transferring good pieces from a boat with a bad engine into another boat with a great engine but bad interior. Thank you for taking the time to help me. I was most worried about breaking something that I do not know how to fix!! Fingers crossed. p.s. I love how great your boat looks. For now replacing the vinyl is out of reach for us and I would not know what to do with a needle and thread even if I had the extra money!!

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really appreciate the info. We are transferring good pieces from a boat with a bad engine into another boat with a great engine but bad interior. Thank you for taking the time to help me. I was most worried about breaking something that I do not know how to fix!! Fingers crossed. p.s. I love how great your boat looks. For now replacing the vinyl is out of reach for us and I would not know what to do with a needle and thread even if I had the extra money!!

Best of luck on your replacement project. Incidentally, if the wood is good it would be a matter of a short role of vinyl (you're choice of color this time) and stainless steel staples. I replaced all four of those pieces (only two you can see) last year for less then a $100 and $60 of that was 1 4X8 sheet of marine plywood. The lower piece is easiest because you're not doing any tucking to it- -it's a straight stretch and staple job. Well, again good luck and let me know if you need anymore help.

kimberlydenn

Cadet

Best of luck on your replacement project. Incidentally, if the wood is good it would be a matter of a short role of vinyl (you're choice of color this time) and stainless steel staples. I replaced all four of those pieces (only two you can see) last year for less then a $100 and $60 of that was 1 4X8 sheet of marine plywood. The lower piece is easiest because you're not doing any tucking to it- -it's a straight stretch and staple job. Well, again good luck and let me know if you need anymore help.

Could you tell me if the top section comes off all in one piece or is it individual cubes? Also did you have to remove the storage slots underneath the pieces in question in order to reach the screws? I hope I'm being clear enough, there are these areas where you can store things like rods and they run along side the boat below the area where the vinyl is. I am thinking I have to remove those in order to access several of the screws and I am also curious as to how you removed the pieces on the very front of the boat. There doesn't seem to be access. Thank you. I would love to change the color of the vinyl but I was told that the seats are very expensive to recover and they are in really good shape. Just an ugly orangey red color. I was thinking that just the red section could be changed but that is above my skill level. We bought the boat thinking the seats were a direct replacement but the color change from 89 to 90 is pretty different so now we are changing the sidewalls too. Never simple!

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could you tell me if the top section comes off all in one piece or is it individual cubes? No, that top piece is all one piece. You can feel the heads of the screws by putting your finger in between the vinyl panels. There should be 2 screws between each panel. Also did you have to remove the storage slots underneath the pieces in question in order to reach the screws? No, you're referring to what's called the gunnel. Your boat setup in this respect may be different then mine. It would be helpful if you could post a pic of this, if you can. I hope I'm being clear enough, there are these areas where you can store things like rods and they run along side the boat below the area where the vinyl is. Gunnel .I am thinking I have to remove those in order to access several of the screws and I am also curious as to how you removed the pieces on the very front of the boat. There doesn't seem to be access. Thank you. I would love to change the color of the vinyl but I was told that the seats are very expensive to recover and they are in really good shape. Just an ugly orangey red color. I was thinking that just the red section could be changed but that is above my skill level. We bought the boat thinking the seats were a direct replacement but the color change from 89 to 90 is pretty different so now we are changing the sidewalls too. Never simple!
As I said, a pic (of what's up under the gunnel where the screws can/should be seen and an overall pic of the project) would save you time by me being able to discern the situation better and not be guessing at it. The setup on your 90' Four Winns isn't likely to be the same as mine. My Freedom 195 model was really one of a kind in respect to the interior. However, these panels were likely mounted the same from model to model.

kimberlydenn

Cadet

As I said, a pic (of what's up under the gunnel where the screws can/should be seen and an overall pic of the project) would save you time by me being able to discern the situation better and not be guessing at it. The setup on your 90' Four Winns isn't likely to be the same as mine. My Freedom 195 model was really one of a kind in respect to the interior. However, these panels were likely mounted the same from model to model.

I will ask my son to take some pictures. I am taking a boating course so hopefully soon I will be able to be more literate with regard to the parts and locations. Thank you

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will ask my son to take some pictures. I am taking a boating course so hopefully soon I will be able to be more literate with regard to the parts and locations. Thank you

Good for you on taking a boating course. Safety is #1. Don't worry about boat terminology too much right now. After 53 years on the water I still point to some things in the boat and refer them as that thingy by the XXXX.....

I will keep an eye on your thread to see when your pics are posted.

kimberlydenn

Cadet

Hi Bill!

We got all the pads off the old boat and the seats and it looks great! Thank you for the help. The last piece is the one with the throtte on it and when my dad removed the throttle he assumed it was easy to put back together but it is not. Because lining the pieces up is difficult he decided to try it out first before attaching it to the wall. The issue is, when he puts all the pieces together the throttle does not go all the way forward or all the way back. Does the boat have to have power to it in order for the throttle to move freely OR did he perhaps disassemble it in a different position than what it is now reassembled in? Your help as always is appreciated.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Bill!

We got all the pads off the old boat and the seats and it looks great! Thank you for the help. The last piece is the one with the throtte on it and when my dad removed the throttle he assumed it was easy to put back together but it is not. Because lining the pieces up is difficult he decided to try it out first before attaching it to the wall. The issue is, when he puts all the pieces together the throttle does not go all the way forward or all the way back. Does the boat have to have power to it in order for the throttle to move freely OR did he perhaps disassemble it in a different position than what it is now reassembled in? Your help as always is appreciated.

Good to hear you were successful with your interior project. As for the throttle, it should shift all the way forward and back with relative ease when the engine is off. If not, something interior wise is obstructing it or you might have the shift cable in a bind somewhere. Let me know how you make out.