found out ive got a short hub prop, and fitted without the spacer HOW? volvo 280..???

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice
Hi lads.Long story, but i need a new prop..

And ive found out ive got a short hub prop..

prop #814627

And it seems to fit.

Its confusing me, as i thought id need the Spacer as below..

But ive got the cone,plastic washer, and tht metal locking washer..

So can i use a long hub or short hub for my next prop??

755edcd7.jpg

a6447ee6.jpg

ad20c835.jpg

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
Re: found out ive got a short hub prop, and fitted without the spacer HOW? volvo 280.

This does not answer your question, but if the 814627 works with the hardware you have now, I would just go with another one of them (or equivalent).

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: found out ive got a short hub prop, and fitted without the spacer HOW? volvo 280.

This does not answer your question, but if the 814627 works with the hardware you have now, I would just go with another one of them (or equivalent).

Hi mate.I guess that would rule out long hubs then..

Just makes no sense :-/

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Hi mate.I guess that would rule out long hubs then..

Not necessarily...maybe someone else who has experience with these drives will chime in. My experience is limited to a 270 drive that uses a short hub prop. Have you checked your boat's user manual for any information about which props will work on the drive?

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

I have checked the manual, and it just confirms my question really, but doesnt give me a answer...

It Says short hub has the spacer..

Hence im stuck lol.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Does your cone have indentations in it for the tabs on the lock washer? I know on my 270, it originally came with a cone with these indentations, but when I went to buy a new cone, I found out that the cones made now are shorter and thus they require the use of the spacer which has the indentations, when using a short hub prop. Just a thought...

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

Does your cone have indentations in it for the tabs on the lock washer? I know on my 270, it originally came with a cone with these indentations, but when I went to buy a new cone, I found out that the cones made now are shorter and thus they require the use of the spacer which has the indentations, when using a short hub prop. Just a thought...

It does yeah.. Maybe this is why i dont need the spacer..

But i wonder if it would allow a long hub?

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

It does yeah.. Maybe this is why i dont need the spacer..

But i wonder if it would allow a long hub?

How much of the prop shaft spline sticks out of the short hub prop now when the prop is installed but the cone is removed? A long hub prop may be so tall as to not expose any of the spline and not allow you to install the lock washer.

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

Hahaha.. Possibley my shaft is so short, it doesnt need the spacer..

My boats on the water now, but will get the measurments on a low tide..

P.s. Cant open them attachments for some reason..

Maybe this will help...

Long shaft
View attachment 103644

Short shaft
View attachment 103645

(dimensions are US inches)

'xcuse the pun, but maybe you have a short shaft? :)

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Let's try these...

Short shaft
short.jpg

Long shaft
long.jpg