Found & Lost

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Found floating on Lake Ray Hubbard, last Saturday: One bright yellow PFD, size 4X - 7X.
Lost on Lake Ray Hubbard, last Saturday: One bright yellow PFD, size 4X - 7X, escaped from the back deck where it was left to dry.

That's only the 3rd item of value I've found over 25 or so years of boating and all within the last 5 years. The others:
A really nice bass boat seat, currently the best seat on my boat, probably about a $150 value.
A pair of Costa del Mar sunglasses in a fancy floating case, amber lenses, around $175.

Stuff I've lost while boating (apart from fishing lures): an old mushroom anchor, a cheap orange life jacket, an old trailer winch crank handle, around six rods with reels, one full tackle box, and a shirt.

pontooner

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Found & Lost

I found a nice stainless steel prop this past weekend. It was in about 2 feet of water (Lake Lanier is down 11-12 ft). The thing is, it still had the shaft, gears, and bearings attached to it. It looked as if it had been there a couple of years or more. It was at the end of a large rock that is probably ussually just under the water surface. I guess someone has a very bad day on the lake. :eek:The prop was in excellent condition. This is about a $400 prop.:)

hgmatt

Seaman

Pontooner, Where do you launch from? I was pretty much under the impression that the ramps were pretty much inoperable.

suzhol76

Cadet

I boat on Lanier as well and was able to drop off at Tidwell off of Pilgrim Mill Rd. and we we able to use 2 right lanes at Shoal Creek.:)

pontooner

Seaman Apprentice

:cool:I launch at Charleston ramp in six mile creek. It has 1 of the 3 ramps open. I have been told that it is the second longest ramp on the lake.

Nandy

Commander

I have found life jackets, fish marking buys, floating toys and such. I lost a cap and an anchor.

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

I've found a few fenders floating a mile or two off shore and I once found a nice wooden letter "X" that measures about 18" tall about 6 years ago. I don't know why I took it and I don't even know why I still have it, but it is one of the nicest "X"s I have ever seen floating in the Pacific.:D:D

Attachments

• woodenX.JPG
    woodenX.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 0

Brijoe00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you sure there wasnt a treasure floating underneath it, X marks the spot. I once found one of those big coolers floating just under the waterline filled with beer. I think it frll off the back of someones boat.

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice

Good friend of mine recently left the merchant marine to join the coast guard and got stationed in new orleans. Well called him a couple monts ago and while driving down to some sh$%hole port on the coast he saw a sonar beacon in the ditch on the side of the road. These are very expensive and only those of us in the field would recognize its value, he said he came home and got his wife and drove down to recover it.

I think he said he got a $500 reward when he turned it in and from where it was it had probably been sitting there for two years since the storm came through!

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

Are you sure there wasnt a treasure floating underneath it, X marks the spot. I once found one of those big coolers floating just under the waterline filled with beer. I think it frll off the back of someones boat.

I didn't see a treasure below it.:D

hgmatt

Seaman

Thanks for the info, I normally launch at Lanier Beach, but I haven't been to the lake in about a month, and with all the severe drought news, one would think that Lanier is about empty. Just FYI, if you get a chance to see some of the North Georgia Lakes, like Nottley, its worse than Lanier by a long shot.

A friend of mine has a house off Nottley, so we took the boat up there the last weekend on August, I had to drive to the end of the ramp, and a friend sat at the very edge of the concrete to make sure my back wheels didn't go over. On the way back to his house, we got lost on the lake because we missed a turn. We missed this turn because the normal route sat about 10 feet above the water level. This drought really sucks.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have not ever found anything........... But I did lose a Bimini Boot a couple of weeks ago. I just got the part # from Larson. I shudder to think what it is going to cost me for the replacement.................

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I found a really nice inflatable life vest on the open ocean. Took a while to get it in the boat because the guy wearing it wouldn't get out of it. :D

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found a really nice inflatable life vest on the open ocean. Took a while to get it in the boat because the guy wearing it wouldn't get out of it. :D

Next time club him with a paddle.....................

floorguru

Recruit

Found a nice navy style anchor with chain and a small bit of rope still attached off the Galveston jetties about 100 ft. Also brought up a Japanese Arisaka 6.5 mm rifle (or what was left of it - no wood, metal only) complete with WWII markings. Caught on my anchor in the "Boat Hole" just off Corpus Christi Bay back in the 60's. It was just off shore of the Naval Air Station. Was told that returning soldiers would ditch contraband in the Bay when returning to the States after a tour overseas. Not valuable, but certainly interesting.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I have found a perfect condition bimini top, with stainless steel bows, folded up perfectly, at the dump. And, it even fits one of our boats.

We love to find useful things, and milk crates and the like are real useful. Once, we found a crate, I think that is used for carrying those little containers of strawberries, floating in the lake. Real sturdy. Replaced the cardboard box that acted as a storage locker in our jon boat (you think I am kidding - I am serious.)

I think that X marked a good fishing spot. Did you think about tossing a senko underneath it? Generally when we find a good fishing spot, we put an X on the deck of the rental boat, where we found the fish......:D

gonefishie

Commander

A few years ago, I found a rootbeer color Bandit 300 crankbait floating. It looked brand new with a snap swivel still on it. It now have many battle scars and bunch of bass caught on it. I have lost rod and reel, Solarbat sunglasses on the same day. Lost a few needlenose pliers from the opening of storage box lid. Lost a jacket left underneath the console which flew out while on the highway.

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I haven't been boating long enough to really lose aything yet, ...other then a coat that blew off the back of the boat out on the river, but I have found a few life jackets on the side of the highway, and a couple of fishing nets.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

i lost a minnow bucket and about 3 dozen minnows trying to get back to the boat launch in 30-40 mph winds and about 3 foot waves it poped up in the air and the wind caught it dumped watter and minnows allover my lap and the bucket went off like a rocket threw the air