Found a Tachometer that works on

CATransplant

Admiral
Magneto 2-stroke ignitions.

I needed one I could swap from engine to engine quickly for on the water tests. It's a perfect solution, since it works on all 2-stroke engines, no matter how many cylinders, and it was cheap.

It's a Suntune CP 7602, from the 80's I think.

suncp7602.jpg

It has a switch for 2-stroke/4-stroke engines, and an inductive pickup that clips on a sparkplug wire. It doesn't care how many cylinders, since it's just taking one pulse each time that plug fires. Powered by 12 volts. Two RPM ranges...one from 6-6000 RPM and one low speed for idle setting.

They don't sell it new any longer. I found mine in a thrift shop, but there's one on ebay right now, too, and I imagine they show up fairly frequently. I paid $5 for mine, and it worked perfectly on my 6hp Johnson.

Watch for one of these and grab it if you find it. I can't find one right now new that's switchable from 2 to 4-stroke.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Found a Tachometer that works on

I just bought a small ENM digital tach off ebay for $30+$5 s/h. They say its good for 2 and 4 stroke motors.

It's about as cheap of tach I could find plus its made in the USA.

If you had posted this 2 days ago I probably would have ended up buying the Suntune instead.

Nice find