Found a Starcraft Mariner 220 '76 ... let it begin

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thank you and you may disregard my 1st PM, but Insent another

Good luck w your project

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Any marine grade is probably better than what was there originally. I just used exterior grade on mine. The Menard's stuff is probably more than sufficient. I just googled that Interlux Interprime Wood Sealer stuff and it says it's meant to seal the wood prior to something else like varish or paint. So it doesn't sound like it would be sufficient by itself. It also says it's "Not for use with two-part polyurethanes or epoxy paint" so it looks like you gotta be careful what you top coat it with. I would guess that spar varnish would be fine but check!

Decker83

Commander
I would stick with the lower price marine grade. I would never pay that kind of mark up..:eek:

jonnyfish

Seaman
ezmobee would a spar varnish or stain be enough protection? The gentleman I talked with recommended this stuff as an alternative to epoxy resin in regard to a lower price and faster process.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I believe it would. Others have used it. The factory used nothing. I used epoxy on my deck and transom. When I rebuilt my bow deck for the second time (didn't build it strong enough the first time) I used spar. Seemed to do a good job.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I only use Helmsman clear gloss spar urethane to seal my decking and side panels. The transom gets a bit more attention, I prime and paint it as well with industrial tractor enamel. The transom inner skin gets primed and painted too.

Get the Menards ply, don't pay the extra 100 bucks since they probably get it from there too.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
Yep gotta agree with the others, I'm also from mn. And bought mine from menards and was nice quality and worked fine

jonnyfish

Seaman
Thanks for the feedback guys, I have to admit I'm relieved I don't need to spend 350 on two pieces of wood for my Transom board.

My next question on this project, is how did some of you take off a larger motor. This boat has a 135hp Black Max Merc on it which is approximately 300 pounds. That intimidates me a bit, if I'm being honest. I do have access to a forklift, and the thought was that i use the fork lift to lift off the motor and place it on a pallet.

How have you guys taken motors off in the past and how do you recommend doing it? Are there any gotcha's I should be aware of? Do any of you have a step by step of you doing it, or a video that has a good reference you would recommend.

Thanks for all the help.

MNhunter1

Ensign
With a motor that size, and a forklift available, I'd pick up the appropriate lifting eye for that motor and place it on a motor stand. There are some plans out there for a DIY motor stand that you can throw together in a couple of hours with some 2x4's and casters. It's nice to keep the motor stored upright and the ability to move it around with the casters is a huge plus as well.

I couldn't find one on iboats, but here is an example from Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Mariner-Outboard-Motor-91-90455-1/dp/B005CWC3CO

Not necessarily the correct eye for your motor, just posted as an example.

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Do you have a lifting ring under the hood? If not there is usually one available you can bolt to the flywheel. Or you can wrap straps around it. I have pulled plenty of outboards just using a cheap harbor freight come-along hung from something sturdy up above: rafter, garage door mount, etc.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

what I did was make a makeshift grab point on top of my Johnson ( some have an oval ring on top somewhere ) and built an engine stand ( found on this forum in sticky thread I believe ) then used an old block and tackle I had to lift off boat / move boat out of way and slide in stand letting engine down far enough to line up to drill bolt holes in stand , and bolted it on. may have to beef up rafters if you have a shed to do it in. and I know of at least one guy here who used a tree branch. your forklift should work the same way, but the stand is much more useful and easy to work on engine and even paint if need be than laying on a pallet. I put casters on bottom so I can move stand around as needed. one idea

Attachments

• photo260611.JPG
    photo260611.JPG
    367.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260612.JPG
    photo260612.JPG
    335 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260613.JPG
    photo260613.JPG
    375.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260614.JPG
    photo260614.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 0

jonnyfish

Seaman
I have to assume that lifting a motor of this size is best done with 2 or more people.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
I would think if you used your forklift as your rafter or tree branch, and then used a block and tackle or come along to raise and lower and had a stand built to attach to , the only reason for a second guy would be to crack the beers, but if your like me the two heads are better than one theory , and an extra set of hands to help with any issues that arise aint a bad idea

Watermann

I've had to lift my Merc 140 a couple times and I bought a lifting eye that screws into the flywheel as strapping the motor around it's waist is nerve racking. I use a come along and garage rafters. I also helped my buddy lift his Merc 175 BM off a donor onto a stand with a cherry picker. You really do need to use a stand for such an important and expensive part of your boat rather than lay it on a pallet. With casters I rolled my motor around to be able to pressures wash it, test run it on the stand and paint. Forgot to add you can also work on the motor and drop the LU to put in a water pump kit.

IMAG2413.jpg

jonnyfish

Seaman
Thanks again for the feedback guys, looks like i'll be building a motor stand, but it doens't look too tough, and i already have the lumber for it so that helps.

Where did you all buy your lifting eye at?

Watermann

This is the one I bought. Google search and choose a retailer it should be the correct one for your motor too but make sure.

Mercury Mariner Flywheel Puller 91-849154T1 Lift Ring 91-90455-1 Lifting Eye

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Jonny,

Good to see you working on this boat again.

The plywood, the Menard's stuff should be fine, though the other is clearly much better stuff.
A question, I haven't seen a pic of the back but are you sure you need 2 sheets for the transom?
(if the height of the sides plus the middle is more than 4 ft you do)

I'm going to be pulling a 115 Merc this spring, it's going on my engine stand.
This will allow me to work on it and even run it off the boat.

Keep the pics coming.

Dan

jonnyfish

Seaman
No Title

Hey DLNorth, thanks for stopping by, unfortunately I couldn't find a place that was large enough to allow me to work on the boat this winter, so sadly the post went stale. But now with warming weather and clear roads I can get down to work on the weekends.

I'm adding 3 of the best pics i currently have that kind of paint a picture of the transom, the reason i bought 2 4x8' sheets was for the thickness (i thought) I measure the thickness of the transom at 1.5" approximately, so I got 2 3/4" sheets. The Beam is 90" though i'm not sure on the full transom height.

Attachments

• photo260700.jpg
    photo260700.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo260701.jpg
    photo260701.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo260702.jpg
    photo260702.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 5

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Man that transom looks low. Doesn't seem like there is enough to push the boat. :)
But the engine, that's the v6, a great engine. And you have the same green paint we (and a lot of others) have.

It's going to be warm this weekend, the snow will be gone, (at least here on the North side of the Cities) time to start thinking about boats.

Actually, the price and quality of the Menard's wood is a good match, and getting 2 isn't too expensive.

Dan