Forward and Pinion Gears: DO I NEED TO REPLACE THEM?

mrkingnh

Seaman Apprentice
I have opened up my lower unit (1989 Evinrude 50HP E50TLCEC), and found that the forward and Pinon gears have some damage (see pics attached). It looks like the previous owner had something happen where the drive shaft backed out and caused the Pinon Gear to not seat as it should, thus causing some scarring to the Pinion itself, as well as the Forward Gear. My question is... The gears still move as they should and the Pinion Gear as well as the forward gear have enough meat left on them to work. as long as there seated properly. These gears are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE.... is it necessary to replace these gears, or do you think I could continue to use them as they are?

Thanks

Rick

Attachments

• IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_1939.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1942.jpg
    IMG_1942.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1943.jpg
    IMG_1943.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1945.jpg
    IMG_1945.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 0

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Forward and Pinion Gears: DO I NEED TO REPLACE THEM?

i wouldnt even consider putting that gear set back into the housing. if i were you, i'd start looking around for complete motor with a blown powerhead.....probably many different year/hp motors will have a lu that will bolt right up. jmo

mrkingnh

Seaman Apprentice

i wouldnt even consider putting that gear set back into the housing. if i were you, i'd start looking around for complete motor with a blown powerhead.....probably many different year/hp motors will have a lu that will bolt right up. jmo

I assumed as much. I have never worked on a lower unit, but from what I have researched, these gears become extremely brittle when there is ANY type of abrasions present.

I found that the OEM Gear Set is VERY EXPENSIVE (300-450 for just forward and pinion).... but I also found a few gear houses that sell the complete set (forward, reverse, clutch, pinion... fairly cheap in comparison ($219-$250).

Has anyone had any experience with these after market sets??

Rick

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Don't use them as they look like they're ready to blow. Check the top secret files at the beginning of this forum and look for salvage yards.