Formula 27PC Transom Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

alldodge

Staff member
FYI - from the us composites site

2# density foam has a compressive strength of 40psi, a tensile strength of 30, and a shear strength of 30
3# density foam has a compressive strength of 60psi, a tensile strength of 70, and a shear strength of 50
4# density foam has a compressive strength of 90psi, a tensile strength of 110, and a shear strength of 70

Assuming you still have a 2' x 2' area of 2# density foam, it has a holding force of 17280#

just brain-storming. if you put about 2psi pressure in the tank, it should bulge the sides enough for you to wedge something between the hull and welded corners. then you could put a vacuum on the tank and try to suck the bottom up a bit. maybe you can slowly tear the foam in this manor.

That's an idea, thanks
I can only get to two of the corners easy enough, one not so easy on two of them. The two which is not so easy is on the side which is still holding

Tnstratofam

Commander
I have a dumb question. Is there any kind of solvent that is strong enough to dissolve the foam without hurting the fiberglass hull underneath? I know probably not, but just curious.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a dumb question. Is there any kind of solvent that is strong enough to dissolve the foam without hurting the fiberglass hull underneath? I know probably not, but just curious.

there is no solvent for cured polyurethane foam.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Lot's of chemicals dissolve the foam and won't hurt the glass. MEK comes to mind but... it will make one heck of a gooey mess that's worse than the removal process and the costs would be quite prohibitive.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Thanks Scott and WOG. I'm just throwing ideas at what seems like a real pita problem.

tpenfield

Staff member
I like the pressurizing idea, but be careful not to do too much. Also the tank is 0.190 Inch thick aluminum with 3 bulkheads welded to the sides along its length and probably 1 bulkhead along the middle welded to top & bottom. So, it won't bulge too much if at all.

The foam holding it in is at least the 4 lb type, might even be more, so the tensile strength as Scott D calculated is huge :eek: . . . . I'm sure the backhoe will lift the boat right up. :)

The only way that I have gotten tanks to come up out of the foam that was securing it to the hull was to lift on the very end of the tank, which started a 'chain reaction' of sorts and caused the foam to start separating.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Do you think it's possible the installer tack/spot welded the tank to some of the aluminum ribs? This is insane. Feel for ya Dodge.:cold:

alldodge

Staff member
I don't think there is any welds, it's all welded foam :(

Thought more about the air vac thing, and air would be easy enough but vacuum might pose a hazard. Draw air out of the tank and around my shop vac with the brushes just spin away. Might have to think a bit more.

Did try something else which shows maybe some promise. Took a piece of 2AWG copper wire, striped an inch off the end and spread the strands. Put in the drill chuck and I was going all the way under the tank. Was doing this for about 10 minutes and the wire would grab a bit and twist more. After a while the wire was so twisted I couldn't use it anymore.

Just got back from the hardware store with a 1/4 drain auger. Going to cut to shorter and try to do the same thing tomorrow and will see how it goes.

Mark72233

Ensign
Dodge I am feeling your pain. I was lucky on my Formula so to speak because it was wet and half separated so it only took me a day to get mine out. Also on the full face mask a large should fit you just fine.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
The only way that I have gotten tanks to come up out of the foam that was securing it to the hull was to lift on the very end of the tank, which started a 'chain reaction' of sorts and caused the foam to start separating.[/QUOTE]

Bingo your not going to get it any other where than tearing it.....If that's the term. From there a angle grinder make's short work of thing's.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
On the full face mask I think I read that the medium fits about 70% of people (not to contradict Mark and my memory ain't too great). I think the only sure way is to go to a place that sells them and let them fit you but they won't be nearly as cheap as online. Another non-approved way is to put your hands over the filter fitting and inhale to see if you have any leaks. I think mine, online, was $78, shipping included, just to give you a price comparison. The medium fits me pretty good, I'm a small guy but have been told I have a big head! Not sure about the face size?!

alldodge

Staff member
I heard a POP and it's fee :whoo:

Time for a :victorious: dance, a cold
0511-1103-1211-5046_Smiley_Holding_a_Mug_of_Beer_clipart_image.jpg
and then figure out how to get the tank out. Shouldn't be to hard, probably pull the boat under my hoist and use it. It looks like the wire I used yesterday and the cold last night was what did it. Took my little 1/4 inch auger and cut it short for the drill. It only took a couple tries to have it twist it up also. If anyone needs to do the same thing, go get a least a 1/2 inch auger, the drill will have trouble getting it twisted.

Group :grouphug: thanks much for all the help thus far guys
Photo468.jpg

Mark72233

Ensign
No more of this.:frusty: Or this:yield:. Lots of this :tea: and this :clap2:. And you are the man for not letting it beat you :hail:

tpenfield

Staff member
Awesome . . . & congrats !!!

the rest should be easy by comparison :thumb:

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Great news! I can feel your relief from here! Glad you kept at it till you won the battle. Cheers :very_drunk:

Status
Not open for further replies.