Forgot to lock the trailer to the hitch...

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, so here's a SHT that didn't turn out bad, thank God! I took my boat over to get it winterized and didn't realize until I pulled into the lot that I had forgotten to lock the hitch to the ball. :eek: I had lowered the trailer down, picked the wheel up, hooked up the chains, lights, etc...but I never did push the lever down to lock it on to the ball. Luckily I didn't hit any bumps along the way! :) Boat made it there safely and is now in my driveway ready for storage.

MYTJC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Forgot to lock the trailer to the hitch...

What it costs you for that service?? The manual directions seem harmless but this is my 1st boat and i'm not sure if i attempt it myself or take it in to have it done. Thanks

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

You winterize your boat in california?

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> You winterize your boat in california?
maybe if you live near Redding....

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forgetting to lock the trailer on, in popularity, comes right after forgetting to put the drain plug in.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

or right before<br /> I actually witnessed both on the same day by the same person. was rather funny.

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

You and I have both been lucky CntrySngr. I made it 11 miles and over some huge hills without it coming off... Whew..

Hunky Dory

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What's that funny noise?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Anyone else hear that scraping noise????? ;) ;) :)

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

I have the opposite problem. I lock the hitch, put on the safety chains but always forget to rotate the trailer wheel up, so when go up the hill I have a rude awakening when it don't want to go. Luckily it is bare ground so just do a liitle plowing.

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

A few years ago,my Father-in-law and his friend Floyd was returning from fishing trip out of state.They was on the Tail-of-the-Dragon(thats the fourteen miles that all the motorcycles race on).Floyd said:Look at this sob trying to pass us on this curve.My Father-in-law said:Why,Floyd,thats our boat.It was.

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

My version of this a few years ago was to insert the draw bar into the hitch and then insert the pin BEHIND the draw bar instead of through the hole.<br /><br />Felt a small bump at the first stop sign as the draw bar slipped back into the hitch...thought "Hey, that was odd...oh well".<br /><br />Felt a much bigger bump at the second stop sign and got out to take a look. Was rather shocked to say the least when I realized what I had done.<br /><br />Brew

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

My friend forgot to close the latch AND forgot to hook up the safety chains. Glad to say I wasn't able to go with them that day...<br /><br />Boat came off at about 70 mph, off the side of the road, flipped. Bent up the aluminum boat and broke the transom mount and a couple of other external parts. but that old 1956 Evinrude must be pretty tough cause we got a couple parts from Chinewalker (thanks Scott) and it's back in service. Beat the boat back into shape also. Doesn't run so straight though!!

brother chris

Commander

Glad everything worked out for you.<br />Brother Chris

gonefishie

Commander

<br />I have the opposite problem. I lock the hitch, put on the safety chains but always forget to rotate the trailer wheel up, so when go up the hill I have a rude awakening when it don't want to go. Luckily it is bare ground so just do a liitle plowing<br />
I did that once too. I used to leave the boat hook up to the truck at all time. If I know I won't be going anywhere for a few days I would lower the tounge jack and gave it a few crank to take some of the weight off the truck's suspension. Well one early morning, pitch black out still, I heard some noise 3 block from the house and thought the safety chains were dragging. Got out and found the wheel was half way destroyed...Dohhh! Oh yeah, I forget the latch, chains, and lights once too.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Anybody else ever forget to remove the chains before pulling away?

Pony

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> Anybody else ever forget to remove the chains before pulling away?
YUP!!!!<br /><br /><br />How many of you have rear license plates with trailer coupler shaped dings in them??

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Dot Pony Dot,<br />That is how I used to line up with my old truck. I had no problems lining up, but distance was something else. I would just back up until I felt the bump. Usually, it was bumping the end of the bumper, from there when I put her in park it rolled forward just enough to line up perfect! Of course, sometimes I had it raised too high. Then there was the time I got stuck in the 28" of new snow. I ended up with coupler shaped dings in the tailgate that time.<br />DOH!!!<br /><br />AK Chappy

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had to get a new plate from hitting it too many times, could not see the numbers

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I onced (last year) forgot to lock the trailer hitch to the ball too! The trailer came off right away as I hit the bumpy rail road tracks near home! Oh, NO !! Luckily, I had the safety chains up; just a little cosmetics scratch againts the bumper! :)