Ford vs. Chevy!

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pulled all the numbers today and went exploring for parts. 1988 Bayliner, 5.0L, OMC, so you know what I'm up against, BTW of course I have no engine manual...bout says it all. <br /><br />Anyway I went to the only remaining OMC dealer in the area and learned I have a FORD not a CHEVY :confused: Engine Model#504APRGDP. They said a #502 is a Chevy and #504 is a Ford :eek: <br /><br />Is one better than the other? Anything I need to know or watch for? Aside from bias in the auto world, this is a marine application after all so I'm not worried about keep front tires on the darn thing. :D

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ford vs. Chevy!

One more thing...does this change my WOT? I've been told it should be 4200 to 4400, 4200 to 4600 and 4400 to 4800 by "Experts". That's a big range...what should it really be?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Anyway I went to the only remaining OMC dealer in the area and learned I have a FORD not a CHEVY Engine Model#504APRGDP. They said a #502 is a Chevy and #504 is a Ford <br />
Ya better find another OMC dealer, cause that one doesn't know didly.<br />Did you take the boat to him or just call with a model number????<br />If you have a 5.0L engine, it's very easy to tell a Ford from a Chevy. The Ford has the distributor on the front of the engine, the Chevy has it on the back.<br />The 504 stands for 5.0L engine with a 4 bbl carb. a 502 in the model number stands for a 5.0L with a 2 bbl carb. <br />The 504 and 502 designation in cubic inches would only be used if it was the King Cobra, but back then neither the 504 or 502 existed on the King Cobras, so that makes that a non issue.

Don S

4200 to 4600 is your WOT rpm range.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

GREAT! What the heck...I drove an hour round trip, they sat behind the counter confident as all get out, "YOU HAVE A FORD". I knew it was a Chevy but the first thing Bayliner owners do is throw away the engine and owners manual. So there I was dumb as can be buying parts :mad: second guessing myself.<br /><br />All is not lost, the parts they sold me seem to crossover to Chevys too. Thanks for the clarification.<br /><br />I'll call them on Monday to make sure they know I might be back to swap out some things!!!

TilliamWe

Banned

If you have a 5.0L engine, it's very easy to tell a Ford from a Chevy. The Ford has the distributor on the front of the engine, the Chevy has it on the back.<br />
Thank you Don for finally pointing that out. I've wanted to say that before, but thought I would come across too mean. The only place you would get in trouble with that is on a real old boat with a 283 Chevy in it. I saw one with the distributor in the front, but it was still different than a Ford.<br />Purdue, you'll be better off with a Chevy from a parts stand point, because the 5.0 Chevy is still used in marine applications to this day.<br /><br />
I knew it was a Chevy but the first thing Bayliner owners do is throw away the engine and owners manual
Why keep it, they can't read anyway! :D (That is a JOKE!) ;)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The only place you would get in trouble with that is on a real old boat with a 283 Chevy in it. I saw one with the distributor in the front
:confused:

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by Fishermark:<br />
The only place you would get in trouble with that is on a real old boat with a 283 Chevy in it. I saw one with the distributor in the front
:confused:
He's Right,.......<br /><br />I've seen Several of them in OLD Chris-Crafts,+ Trojans.......<br /><br />Always some Funky Inboard,.....1 was Driven off the Front of the motor.......The Flywheel was hooked to Nothing.....<br />I'm talking Mid-50s to the Early 60s...... Almost as Old as Myself...... :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Bondo,<br /> buddy of mine had a pair of them in his old chris craft.<br /> what a setup.<br /> I also know where a complete 409 package is in a barn from an old chris craft.<br /> I have had my eyes on it for almost 20 years.still has the original chris craft manifolds on it. was two years old when it was pulled. was pulled in the early sixties and has resided in the same barn ever since.

flashback

Captain

Hey rodbolt, that one would be nice to have, may need to put more than your eyes on it before someone like me finds it.. :D :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

flashback<br /> lucky for me its in a cousins garage.<br /> his family and mine have lived in the same general area since sometime in the mid 1700's. Ill out wait him :) :)

Don S

<br />Originally posted by TilliamWe:<br /><br />Thank you Don for finally pointing that out. I've wanted to say that before, but thought I would come across too mean. The only place you would get in trouble with that is on a real old boat with a 283 Chevy in it. <br />
I sure wouldn't want to come across as mean, I'm too nice a guy for that.... :D <br /><br />And I am with everyone else, there are boats (Especially ChrisCraft) that like to hook the tranny on the wrong end of the engine. I guess they just loved to make all those wierd castings for the manifolds, engine/drive from the wrong end bellhousings, and a flywheel housing with all kinds of wierd attachments. Along with one of a kind distributors to mount on all their wierd castings.<br />Anyway, I thought it was a fairly safe statement on an 88 Bayliner with an OMC in it. Bayliner liked to do things the inexpensive way (ok, cheap) but Chris and the old Crusaders and a few others, didn't think that way. <br />Try to find parts for them old puppies today.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow you guys are killing me softly. Interesting how everything has a way of coming around full circle. You see the boat I grew up on was our family's Chris Craft, 1962 Citation 28' Cabin Cruiser. The last double plank boat they made. They didn't make one in 1963 as they retooled for the Caviler that replaced it in 1964. Plywood over a frame with a single 327, no where near near the same boat. Ours had twin...guess what...283's! Not too sure where the cap was, it's been a while but that baby would move at 4500 WOT! Bout the only thing left in the water was two straight shafts and props, maybe two feet of wood and that was without tabs!<br /><br />I used to drive that baby like a tank, I could put her on a dime with no dings, in a stiff current with a cross wind. We kept it on the Ohio. Our slip neighbor had the Caviler, he'd come in fighting the wheel and blamo, there goes another hole in the boat. <br /><br />Anyway, maybe you'll cut me some slack because I'm trying to get back into boating with kids of my own. I spent over 100 hours each winter in dry-dock, working on that Chris Craft for most of my teenage years, sanding, staining painting and varnishing. They didn't have cordless drills back then! Hand screwed thousands of SS in and out. So there you go, I should jump a rank just for that alone! Now then back to the Bayliner...funny how I get better answers here than at the darn boat dealer. Just keep pointing me in the right direction and maybe one day my boys will pass on the legacy to their own.

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

1988 Bayliner Capri BR sometimes used a FORD 302,2bbl holly-carbed(called the5.O HO)engine in ft.of an OMC Cobra!!!! With points TOO!!

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> Bondo,<br /> buddy of mine had a pair of them in his old chris craft.<br /> what a setup.<br /> I also know where a complete 409 package is in a barn from an old chris craft.<br /> I have had my eyes on it for almost 20 years.still has the original chris craft manifolds on it. was two years old when it was pulled. was pulled in the early sixties and has resided in the same barn ever since.
Ayuh,......<br /><br />What I've seen, is that they're All pretty much Worthless.......<br />Unless you find some folks doing Museum Quality Restorations.........<br /><br />And the Millionaires up on the River at the Museum are the Tightest folks I've Ever met.........<br /><br />The Price of Scrap is More.......<br /><br />I tend to get involved with Old Hulls,+ New, or atleast Newer Power............<br />I got a backyard Full of OMC Junk......... :D