Ford Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, i've had a 2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 (basically the same vehicle as an Escape) and it pulls my boat fine (2500 lbs), along with 5 people in the car. Only issues i've had were one of the catalytic conververts went bad on me, and just recently a spark plug blew out of the head, necessitating a re-tapping of the spark plug hole. Other than that, no issues, and i've had it since 2004, and now with just over 260k miles.

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another vehicle to possibly consider would be the Dodge Durango...

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Another vehicle to possibly consider would be the Dodge Durango...
That would be a lot of gas and considering I will be driving to school every day in it that would add up too quick to make it worth it.

philipp10

Seaman
Is there any particular reason why you think it would be a better choice?

All I can find for the RAV4 is the 4 cylinder version no v6s and I am sure the 4 won't have enough power to pull my boat as it is a bit of a large 16ft one

I pull a 17.5 ft Searay with the 4 cyl RAV no problem at all. I wouldn 't do it in the mountains though. Pretty flat around here. It has trailer brakes or I would not try it.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I pull a 17.5 ft Searay with the 4 cyl RAV no problem at all. I wouldn 't do it in the mountains though. Pretty flat around here. It has trailer brakes or I would not try it.
Where I live here in Canada there are hills everywhere, I am not sure I can find a section of highway 1 mile long that is flat or even close to it within a reasonable distance of me. I would be worried about getting up the hills, think of it like climbing decent sized hills (150+ feet) maybe 6-10 times each way to the lake. I might consider renting 1 with a 4c and test it but I think I'd need brakes first. Which I guess is okay since I have been thinking about them already.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Where I live here in Canada there are hills everywhere, I am not sure I can find a section of highway 1 mile long that is flat or even close to it within a reasonable distance of me. I would be worried about getting up the hills, think of it like climbing decent sized hills (150+ feet) maybe 6-10 times each way to the lake. I might consider renting 1 with a 4c and test it but I think I'd need brakes first. Which I guess is okay since I have been thinking about them already.

Keep in mind...some of the vehicle will give you larger brake rotors if you opt for the larger engine among other towing accoutrements because they assumed you buy the larger engine because you had stuff to tow.

sprintst

Commander
My friend just took his primo 2004 escape to the wrecker. Blew the engine driving in the mountains. The brake pads were made of graham cracker cookies...lasted about 20000 k before replacing. Tranny went a while back, etc. I have a 2000 Yukon. Only work done was rear shocks at 275000 and alternator at 317000. This thing is a tank and surprisingly good on gas especially on the highway. My V6 Explorer which almost biodegraded on me has worse on gas in comparison. Every moving part on the Explorer failed before 200000 km...that thing was an absolute money pit...thank God the Yukon averaged it out as has no repairs to keep it alive.

thumpar

Admiral
I have a 2000 Yukon also. It has 253,000+ miles on it. I have only had to replace the water pump.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
My friend just took his primo 2004 escape to the wrecker. Blew the engine driving in the mountains. The brake pads were made of graham cracker cookies...lasted about 20000 k before replacing. Tranny went a while back, etc. I have a 2000 Yukon. Only work done was rear shocks at 275000 and alternator at 317000. This thing is a tank and surprisingly good on gas especially on the highway. My V6 Explorer which almost biodegraded on me has worse on gas in comparison. Every moving part on the Explorer failed before 200000 km...that thing was an absolute money pit...thank God the Yukon averaged it out as has no repairs to keep it alive.
Yeah sure it is a good car but it is a V8 which is way past what I could afford as I am a student.

thumpar

Admiral
Yeah sure it is a good car but it is a V8 which is way past what I could afford as I am a student.
You have to weigh in all the costs. Fuel is not the only one. My Yukon gets 20+mpg. I went from a Safari with 4.3l to the Yukon with 5.3l and think I get better mileage with the Yukon.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
You have to weigh in all the costs. Fuel is not the only one. My Yukon gets 20+mpg. I went from a Safari with 4.3l to the Yukon with 5.3l and think I get better mileage with the Yukon.
Yes I get that but the cost to buy a Yukon is also much more, add in the added fuel costs which are much more than you would like to think thanks to Canadian prices. What is a good priced and cheap ish option in the US is not always in Canada. I have looked around and the extra cost to buy and cost of gas make it not an option that I am willing to consider as I simply can not afford it in any way shape or form.

thumpar

Admiral
Yes I get that but the cost to buy a Yukon is also much more, add in the added fuel costs which are much more than you would like to think thanks to Canadian prices. What is a good priced and cheap ish option in the US is not always in Canada. I have looked around and the extra cost to buy and cost of gas make it not an option that I am willing to consider as I simply can not afford it in any way shape or form.

My Yukon was $3900. It is the new body style too.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
We used to get Ford Escapes as company cars. We beat the **** out of them. Commercial use V6 with foot to the floor daily. I beat mine in the Colorado snow and would Baja any dirt road I could. They were bulletproof. The bias here is motivated by somthing else because besides the first ones riding ruff they are great. At 100k miles they gave me an Edge and had it not been for me jumping and beating the Escape we almost bought it from the fleet company for the wife to drive. I'd recomend one in a heart beat.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
My Yukon was $3900. It is the new body style too.
How many km on it though? I am looking for one with less than 150 000 km and my budget is no where near big enough to afford it so Yukons while good SUVs are too expensive for me.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
We used to get Ford Escapes as company cars. We beat the **** out of them. Commercial use V6 with foot to the floor daily. I beat mine in the Colorado snow and would Baja any dirt road I could. They were bulletproof. The bias here is motivated by somthing else because besides the first ones riding ruff they are great. At 100k miles they gave me an Edge and had it not been for me jumping and beating the Escape we almost bought it from the fleet company for the wife to drive. I'd recomend one in a heart beat.
Good to know that, I know they are considered pretty good here but most have the v4 not the v6 so had no idea if there was much difference. If they can with stand being a company car then good chance they'll work for me.

thumpar

Admiral
How many km on it though? I am looking for one with less than 150 000 km and my budget is no where near big enough to afford it so Yukons while good SUVs are too expensive for me.
Right now I am at 253k miles. The Suburban I had was at 385k miles last I saw it and still going. The 5.3l is a solid motor.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The RAV4 was available with a V6 up until about three years ago. A friend of mine had one. It may only be available in the up-trim versions. Driven correctly, any small SUV with a 4-banger can tow 2000# unless you live in extremely hilly country where frequent downshifting would occur. In the age group you are looking at you might look for an S10 Blazer with rwd or 4wd. Should be some Ford Rangers around as well with either 4 cylinder or V6. Sturdy V6 that pulls like a mule. I had a 2002 S10 Crew Cab (4 door) that was an excellent tow vehicle and got very respectable fuel economy.

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
OP, did you read my earlier post from a while back, post #41? The Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner, and Ford Escape are all the same vehicle. Equipped with the V6, they'd be just what you're looking for...

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
OP, did you read my earlier post from a while back, post #41? The Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner, and Ford Escape are all the same vehicle. Equipped with the V6, they'd be just what you're looking for...
I think I might have missed your comment or I forgot about it since. I did end up buying a 2011 Ford Escape with about 98 000 km on it from my parents and they are getting a newer one with a v4 to replace the one I bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.