Ford 460 starter

Hello all,
I have a Duckworth with a Berkeley jet. It has a Ford 460 in the dog house. Starter failed so I pulled it to get a part number. It was fairly rusted and the casting numbers are D2AF-11131-DA. It’s mounted by 2 bolts on the passenger side. Obviously the engine (at the pulleys) spins clockwise, does the starter being on the passenger side need to spin CC or CCW . I’m in need of a starter part number. Thanks for the help?

Bondo

Staff member
Hello all,
I have a Duckworth with a Berkeley jet. It has a Ford 460 in the dog house. Starter failed so I pulled it to get a part number. It was fairly rusted and the casting numbers are D2AF-11131-DA. It’s mounted by 2 bolts on the passenger side. Obviously the engine (at the pulleys) spins clockwise, does the starter being on the passenger side need to spin CC or CCW . I’m in need of a starter part number. Thanks for the help?
Ayuh,..... I've seen jet boats with the drivers seat on the port, as well as the starboard sides,.....
So,..... which is yer's,..??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Is the starter bolted to the block? Are you saying the motor spins clockwise when you are looking at the front of the motor?

If so, standard marine starter for LH (standard ) motor

kenny nunez

Captain
2 sources, Hardin Marine and Arco will have what you need. The main thing is to convert to a PMGR version which uses less amperage but provides more torque.
The main thing that kills jet drive starters is bilge water because the engine is mounted low in the boat and the flywheel spins it into the starter. You have to keep the packing gland adjusted on the front of the pump to prevent too much water from collecting in the bilge.
Which jet do you have, Berkeley, Jacuzzi, Panther ,or Hamilton ?

Ayuh,..... I've seen jet boats with the drivers seat on the port, as well as the starboard sides,.....
So,..... which is yer's,..??
Dang boats. Drivers seat is on the starboard side so the starter is on the drivers side.

2 sources, Hardin Marine and Arco will have what you need. The main thing is to convert to a PMGR version which uses less amperage but provides more torque.
The main thing that kills jet drive starters is bilge water because the engine is mounted low in the boat and the flywheel spins it into the starter. You have to keep the packing gland adjusted on the front of the pump to prevent too much water from collecting in the bilge.
Which jet do you have, Berkeley, Jacuzzi, Panther ,or Hamilton ?
Berkeley jet. It’s been a great boat.