Forced to run 50:1 through truck...what have I done!

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all,<br /><br />About a month ago I was towing home from a small, remote lake in the desert. There was noone else around and there was no cell phone coverage. Anyway, I noted that I had about 2 gallons left in the truck's tank, and would need about 4 gallons to get back to civilization.<br /><br />After considering my options (hike, wait, push), I decided to put 2 gallons of 50:1 from the boat into the truck's tank (please don't laugh...surely I'm not the only person ever to have done this!). After getting to town, I immediately filled up the truck to dilute the 2-cycle oil as much as possible.<br /><br />Anyway, after about a week, the truck developed a problem...after being warmed up/run awhile then shut off, the truck is difficult to re-start (i.e., wants to stall out) without lightly gunning the engine for 10-15 seconds; and, i usually have to try to start it 2 or 3 times before it "takes". After this gunning it thing, it drives fine, doesn't act like it wants to stall, etc. Interestingly, when cold, (e.g., on the first start of the morning or after sitting for 2-3 hours) this starting problem does not occur. Before I did this gas/oil thing, the truck had no starting problems at all.<br /><br />Anyway, this problem persists after two more complete fillups...I was hoping it would go away as the 2-cycle oil got drained out. The gas/oil mixture was only about a week old and came from a clean tank, so I don't think debris/water/gunk in the gas was a factor. I have noticed my mpg's went down about 0.5 mpg, but I attribute that to the "gunning it" thing.<br /><br />The truck is a 1993 Dodge Dakota with 3.9L v6. It is injected and has various sensors (MAP, Oxygen, etc.).<br /><br />So:<br />What did I do to my engine?<br />How do I correct it?

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Forced to run 50:1 through truck...what have I done!

Try checking your spark plugs. Could have fouled them. Thats where I would start, it's also probably the cheapest to replace.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Agrazela - the symptoms you are describing sound to me like it could be the IAC on the throttle body is sticking. It's usually a simple matter to remove and clean it up properly anyway. Certainly that wouldn't be unusual for a truck that age. Hopefully someone who knows your truck better can comment.<br /><br />Personally, I can't see how running premix would cause a problem.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I second checking the plugs for fouling.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I recently did the same thing with 5 gals of 50-1 in my jeep with no adverse effect at all.In my case I just filled up too many gas jugs and had no place to put the last jug,so in the Jeep it went.I think your problem is just coincidence.Charlie

LubeDude

Admiral

I agree with Crazy Charlie, Even if it would have fouled the plugs, they would be fine now. If is would have been the oil, it would have been there the next morning you started the truck.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

well the red flag I noticed was that dodge word ... but, i'm a biased SOB. lol<br /><br />As others have stated before me try the plugs. Cheap as beans to replace too and if they haven't been replaced it may be time since the truck is 11yrs old. <br /><br />I'm no mechanic by any means though.

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am glad to hear that putting 50:1 through a car engine is not such an unusual occurrence.<br /><br />Paul,<br />In checking out some Dodge forums, it certainly sounds as if excessive carbon buildup can cause a sticky IAC...I will check this out for sure.<br /><br />Others,<br />If IAC isn't it, I will move to plugs next.<br /><br />Barlow,<br />Certainly no offence taken. I am less than happy with this Dodge truck--I only hope it lasts until I am done saving up for what I really want...a late-model Chevy Silverado Crew Cab.

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

My stab in the dark, and I mean dark is oxygen sensor.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I could be wrong, but I think only raw air moves through the IAC. I would find someplace to run the p*** out of it (high speed) for about ten minutes to burn any excess carbon out of it, and if that doesn't work, then take a look at the O2 sensor like dhud said. O2 sensors are relatively delicate and easy to screw up. I can't think of any other sensor in the system that would be exposed to the two-cycle oil in the fuel. I guess the one other possibility is that the injectors may be "fouled", but I think the straight gasoline should have purged all that by now.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe you need to "decarb" it now..... Seafoam? :D

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Year after year I run the excess fuel thru my pickup with almost no problems. Last year it started running like crap afterwards so I did the Seafoam decarb and fixed it right up...just a thought

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the advice.<br /><br />I took the lazy man's approach and sprayed half a can of carb cleaner into the throttle body; this seems to have fixed my problem.